Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

identity crisis

I picked up a new toy last weekend, not going to lie: its got me a little stumped. vin on my bill of sale its stated as a f250, the badging says f100. course I didn't decode the vin ( or look at the registration) till I had dropped it off at my dads 2 hours south of my place, nor did I match up the vin on the truck ( nor will I be shopping without coffee again). Just assumed that someone had put a Dana 60 under a f 100; however the frame is heavier... here's the kicker, its got 5 lugs up front. So I'm wondering if it is the f100 spindles, would a set off a f250 fit on there: its a 2wd.
thoughts?

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
I picked up a new toy last weekend, not going to lie: its got me a little stumped. vin on my bill of sale its stated as a f250, the badging says f100. course I didn't decode the vin ( or look at the registration) till I had dropped it off at my dads 2 hours south of my place, nor did I match up the vin on the truck ( nor will I be shopping without coffee again). Just assumed that someone had put a Dana 60 under a f 100; however the frame is heavier... here's the kicker, its got 5 lugs up front. So I'm wondering if it is the f100 spindles, would a set off a f250 fit on there: its a 2wd.
thoughts?
F100 has 5 lug wheels on a 5.50" bolt circle.

F250 has 8 lug wheels on a 6.50" bolt circle.

F100 2WD VIN begins with F10, F250 2WD VIN begins with F25.

Fellro

Staff member
I would check the vin on the door to see if it is a match. It is likely someone has set a different cab on the F100 frame. The sad truth though is all they would have to do is change the driver's door and the vin would change... The vin on the frame most likely will not match the paperwork though. I can't see how it could at this point. It isn't an uncommon practice, but it can land people down the ownership road in some hot water if the documentation isn't done properly.

Last edited:

Manimal

California Chapter member
Leaf springs or coils? The Dana 60 you are referring to I take it is the FRONT, right? If it is infact a D60F, someone had custom hubs made or bought for it.
Post up some pics and we can help you further.

Fellro

Staff member
He stated it is a 2wd. There were D61's up til 84in the 80's trucks.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
While Dana 61's were available in 1973/85 F250's, Dana 60's predominated.

IMO, the OP failed to do any research whatsoever before he bought this truck, so he only has himself to blame for buying a Frankenstein monster.

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts