Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Ideas for new Rims

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
not a big fan of the wagon-wheel ones you posted in the first pic. they just look really dated to me

So's the truck he's looking at putting them under... smilietease

I like the wagon wheels- never in chrome, though, and not in black on that Bronk.

Turbines are OK...but it seems like whenever you see 'em they look dull and dirty, probably because they'd be a real pain to keep clean and polished.

I'm a really big fan of the aluminum 10-hole Ford rims from the mid-'90s era...they've got a little smaller hole than most of the aftermarket ones do, and I think they look better. I also think that aluminum looks better than chrome.

Last edited:

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
So's the truck he's looking at putting them under... smilietease.

My thoughts exactly...it's a '79...so it's only proper that you keep the old school feel.

I like the wagon wheels- never in chrome, though, and not in black on that Bronk..

Yeah...I like wagon wheels too...but like you, not in chrome, I like them white...but white doesn't really fit the scheme of the Bronco, neither does black.

Turbines are OK...but it seems like whenever you see 'em they look dull and dirty, probably because they'd be a real pain to keep clean and polished..

I really like the turbines...but like you said, you NEVER see a bright and shiny set...until recently, I just thought they were all brushed or something until I saw a couple clean sets. I don't think they's be too terribly hard to clean/polish, should be able to get on the 'spokes' pretty easy. The rims I have now are terrible...1)they're ugly 2) they have a ton of lines and grooves 3) I can't get in on the center area too easily because they protrude too close to the hub

I'm a really big fan of the aluminum 10-hole Ford rims from the mid-'90s era...they've got a little smaller hole than most of the aftermarket ones do, and I think they look better. I also think that aluminum looks better than chrome.

I'm a fan of those rims as well...but I like the Alcoa brand...hence the reason I have a set on Red, Thunder, and an extra set for the Bronco. I too, think polished aluminum looks better, but chrome is just so much easier to keep clean. With aluminum I always have to polish them, and haven't found a spray on cleaner yet that won't cause them to haze...chrome on the other hand, a little water, rag and a quick rub down and they look good as new.

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
The thing with chrome here is one winter and theyre rusty. Look at the roll bar in my 76 thats been on one truck or the other for three or four winters and its rusted so bad I cant save it. I waxed it in the summer time every year and only got the rust to come out once and it took sandpaper to get it off now its too far gone to wrooy about.

Last edited:

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
The thing with chrome here is one winter and theyre rusty. Look at the roll bar in my 76 thats been on one truck or the other for three or four winters and its rusted so bad I cant save it. I waxed it in the summer time every year and only got the rust to come out once and it took sandpaper to get it off now its too far gone to wrooy about.

Luckily in my area we don't have to worry too much about harsh winters. But I get what you're saying...we had chrome Bart rims on Thunder and they only lasted about 5 years before the rust spots became unbearable...hence the swap to Alcoas. Only reason I suggested chrome was because I like shine, and they're typically waaaaay cheaper than aluminum and they're super easy to clean until rust sets in.

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Yeah I got some white spokers to put on the 85 when the chrome ones rust too bad. Im also gonna put the chrome rims on the jeep and when they get too bad Ill just scuff em up and paint em.

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
I actually really like the wheels with no holes...I dunno what they're called either, or who makes them. I knew Eagle did at one time, but it doesn't look like they do anymore. I also only remember them as a brushed aluminum wheel...I'd have to send them off to be chromed...or see if Dad could get it done. As for Buck's wheels...they look good, but a little too common and too much like what I have on my other trucks.

Centerlines. Old school muscle car wheels.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house

Thanks Ernie...just checked them out, and they look like they have 3 applications I could be interested in. Sooooo...

Can someone please tell me if these are ugly...at first I thought they were...but then they were intriguing:
smoothies1.jpg

Now what about these...I really like them, but don't have that cool 'rivet' look, and I'd have to bump up to a 16" rim:
smooties2.jpg

Lastly, these were the ones I was thinking about originally...to me they say tough:
smoothies3.jpg

What do you guys think? I think I'm gonna go with one of these, leaning towards the last ones pictured or Turbines if I can find a good set.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
The last ones do it for me.

That's what I was thinking too. However, I'd have to find a different manufacturer...the Centerline load rating is only 1125 a wheel, they say not for fitment for tires larger than 30" (dunno why that would matter)...they don't have my width either.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I'm a huge fan of the last style Centerline you posted Ben. On a muscle car. (Again, though- in brushed aluminum not chrome.)

To me, they'd be as out of place on a Bronco as a lugged mud tire would be on a Mustang, though.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
I don't know if you'll like the look of the centerlines on the truck - your call obviously. Just do yourself a favor and stay away from black wheels. You can't tell where the ugly wheel ends and the tire begins. Looks like what is on a fisher price wagon. (no offense to people who have black wheels, namely a cop in california.)

Ryan

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I'm OK with black wheels (sometimes) on some color vehicles...but not brown like Ben's Bronco.

Looks OK with white, silver...light, metallic colors, mostly. Or on a completely blacked-out black vehicle, if that's your thing.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I don't know if you'll like the look of the centerlines on the truck - your call obviously. Just do yourself a favor and stay away from black wheels. You can't tell where the ugly wheel ends and the tire begins. Looks like what is on a fisher price wagon. (no offense to people who have black wheels, namely a cop in california.)

Ryan

Yeah I was gonna stay away from black wheels completely...not really a fan unless they're on a rig like Ian said. Only reason I liked the centerlines was because I have seen them on a few rigs and thought they looked really good for the application. However, I've been unable to find the rim in the proper size and/or bolt pattern. And to my knowledge turbines are no longer made, and I really don't want the hassle of trying to make a set look good. So in the end, I'll probably just go with the old bullet hole standby. It's not like I'm in a rush to get new rims, so I'll still keep my eyes open.

Check out Centerline Wheels, they have alot of different designs though they are largely known for their hole-less autodrag rims. :)

http://centerlinewheels.com/main_wheel.php

Thanks Ernie...just checked them out, and they look like they have 3 applications I could be interested in. Sooooo...

Can someone please tell me if these are ugly...at first I thought they were...but then they were intriguing:

Now what about these...I really like them, but don't have that cool 'rivet' look, and I'd have to bump up to a 16" rim:

Lastly, these were the ones I was thinking about originally...to me they say tough:

What do you guys think? I think I'm gonna go with one of these, leaning towards the last ones pictured or Turbines if I can find a good set.

I guess you must have missed my post...

I suggested Centerlines like 3 days ago... :( :p [confused]

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Yeah I like them last one that ya posted too Ben. I think thats what my dad was talkin about. Ive seen the brushed aluminum ones on a highboy before (they were on a truck I was lookin at when I was lookin for a truck before I found my 76). The truck was green and it had 33s and it looked really good like that. I have black wheels on my jeep (only color spray paint I had) and they look pretty good.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house

Ford Truck Articles