Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

ID this motor

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
When you say spacer could it also be called an adapter? Because they did have that just called it something different

That could be it. It raises the cap up, and a bigger rotor is used with the wider cap.

gsxr1238

Be fast.....or be last.
Look at the outlet water connection.It bolts to the block.'335' series are the only ones that connect this way.351C,351M,amd 400 all have dry intake manifolds.Order a cap,base adapter,rotor,and wires for a 1978 400 engine and you will be good to go.

Thanks all for the help. Surewhynot mentioning the spacer, things started to sink in at that point. So I got the Cap, Rotor, Plugs, Wires done. Went with the newer( I think ) version and the following pics maybe will help out someone in the future.

Here's the old cap.
07-22-09_007.jpg

Here's the adapter.
07-22-09_008.jpg

And the different style cap.
07-22-09_009.jpg

Good job...but just a voice of experience...get rid of the wire nuts and replace 'em with butt connectors and shrink tube. Sooooo many saved headaches down the "road".

Good job...but just a voice of experience...get rid of the wire nuts and replace 'em with butt connectors and shrink tube. Sooooo many saved headaches down the "road".

Yeah, this truck is an electrical nightmare. The PO has wires running all over the place, some bare spots, corroded ends etc. Just a matter of taking on at a time and figuring out my this was done in the first place and correcting it.

So just to recap here on the motor. It was made in 74 and is a 400?

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Another way to tell. The 351M/400 is the only engine that has the fuel pump mounting bolts at the top and bottom, rather than side by side. Your engine's thermostat housing goes into the block, at the top, not into the manifold. The 351M/400 has a dry manifold.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts