Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

I smell gas

boysmomoflabs

completely ignorant~
Filled up both tanks yesterday, was feeling pretty good about the truck. Drove yesterday and again today, didn't notice anything till late tonight.

Walked past the drivers side rear tire and could smell gas. Not alot but enough (don't smoke, pretty good nose)

So....
do I just crawl under there and have a look or is there a starting point, general known place of leakage? Knowing how long this truck has sat prior..is there any rubber parts I should look at.

btw, I've ordered, thru the library, both Chilton and Haynes catalogs.

Thanks
Evangeline

btw..second question. Washed and spray waxed (the truck 'badachang' ) and noticed crazing on the cab top. Used Meguiars paste wax on it today...any thoughts.

crzybil87

C.R.A.Z.Y.B.I.L.L
Right on with the ordering the books, as far as the gas smell just crawl under the truck and see if you can see where its coming from

check around the gas tank straps and look for any drips of gas coming down..if not put a piece of cardboard or wood under the truck in the section that the tank is located and when you wake up in the morning see if it's leaked or not.

Beach66Bum

Top Poster Of Month
A look underneath at the tanks will show if there's a leak. You will see wetness staining. Tanks are prone to rust at the top since mud and debris sit up there and are usually not sprayed clean. The smell is noticed more when the tanks are full. Had this problem with my Bronco's tank. (BTDT). This MAY be your issue.

Roy

Hows the fuel milage? Have a look at the fill tubes to see if gas is running down them, if you do see this it's indicating that you have the fuel transfer problem where gas is returned to the other tank while you drive, and if the other tank is already full it will simply overflow out the filler tube.

boysmomoflabs

completely ignorant~
Ah..good idea on the cardboard! It's supposed to be dry today so I'll put it out this am.

First time gassing her up, so not sure on the mileage. Will crawl under her today with a flashlight.

Thanks for thoughts on where I look.

boysmomoflabs

completely ignorant~
Laid the cardboard down, nada. Crawled under there and couldn't see anything. So now I'm wondering if it's the new locking gas cap and allowing vapor's to escape.
Will drive it today on that tank and see. Library has manuals in too.

Thanks for the help!!

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
the tank will seep for months around straps and the like .And not show .

I replace several tanks a year (friends know I know how LOL) And in the 20 plus years of doing them only had 3 trucks that had line issues.

run it figure out what tank is causing smell. rear is usual one. you can run it not fill it whole way for while if want .

Takes about 2 hours to swap one . need tools for quick connects (get or borrow a good set not the plier type. Get a fuel pump while at it . Got to online store/ebay . I got one last week same manufacturer and part # as local and saved half.

I'd run it awhile . If in winter area . let the new tank last another year good luck

boysmomoflabs

completely ignorant~
Thank you!!!!

Yes, it is the rear and I ran it down to 1/2 tank today. Wanted to keep some gas in if for winter etc. If it continues I'll follow your advice.

Found a new mechanic today and with a bit of tweaking, poking etc had her running beautifully!!!!!!! I was sooo happy!!!!

(no charge either...whoot!)

If you have plastic fuel tank it could have small crack at top.If you see a white residue on tank means it has seepage.Big T.:headbang:

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
might be the oring around the pump

Ford Truck Articles