Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

I need it to be SHINY!!!!!

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
So keeping vehicles shiny and pretty is something new to me. I've never waxed a car before and know little to nothing about paint preservation, waxing, or anything more than a simple rag and some soap to clean it up.

School me!

My car needs to be shiny and sexy once again! :)

The oxidation on the paint needs to be removed and it really needs a good wax ( i think ) but im unsure of the best way to accomplish the final goal. A clean and sexy car. So fellas, care to lend me a hand? I've always used my paint as a canvas for my "mud art" hahahahaha so be warned i likely will be asking alot of questions.... :)smiliegitrdone

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
Step one: warsh the dern thing! (any automotive soap will do. NEVER use dish soap!!!)

Step two: dry 'er using a micro fiber towel ONLY

Step three: clay bar (available at WalMart for around $15)

Step four: spray or paste wax

Step five: dress your tires! (Use a good Meguiar's tire gel or foam. Clean the tires with a degreaser to release all of the dirt first. Rub in the gel or foam for a semi gloss... let the foam set for a while for a full gloss)

Now, if you want all of this in a kit, grab the Meguiar's New Car Kit for everything except the clay kit.

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
Clay bar going to pull the oxidation?

Nope, but it will pull out all of the contaminants in the paint & oxidized areas. Really depends on the grade of damage done. I'd try it & go from there.

I've used gojo, to clean up oxidation before..

1109-12_l.ashx

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader

:winning:

Thats exactly what i was looking for. Thank you very much.

I used a buffing compound to get the oxidation out, car looks MUCH better, the roof still needs a little attention but the car in general looks alot better.

I'll be sure to pick up some supplies tomorrow afternoon. Thanks for the tip fella's...

i say pay a prof. to detail it first time. nothing like using a machine to make paint shiny. then you can use clay bars and all the other goodies people suggested. if they have never been waxed or taken car of best way to do it.

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
Sure, but the pro's are proud of there tradear ound here. I guess some people are willing to fork over that kind of money for a detail, but i am not. I generally do everything my self. Especially when i have to fork over a wad of cash. Ill do it my self and deposit that cash into my own pocket. :)Another buffing and waxing the car looks great, it will get detailed again as soon as i get the engine broke in.. :)

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts