Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

i need an answer quick!! please!

oh so im looking at 2 trucks today. both 4.9L manuals, one is a 5speed one is a 4speed. both 8gen. i would rather have the 5speed but the one with the 4speed is a fair amount cheaper. both are 2wd. how hard is it to swap a m5od or zf in to repace the 4speed? would it be super easy or difficult. i would imagine you could just drop the old one off the bell housing and put in the new one in its place right? please help me! thanks guys!

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
What prices are you looking at? Is it worth the cost of acquiring the new transmission and installing it?

Ryan

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
If the 4 speed runs and looks as good as the 5 speed. I would buy the 4 speed and keep it a 4 speed. Keep the extra money in your wallet.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
If the gear in the back of the 4 speed is around 3.55 or less, I'd stick with the 4 speed as well. I've driven a 4 speed with the 300, and it wasn't screaming with RPM on the highway.

Ryan

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
x3^ what they said. If the rear end isnt a 3.73 or 4.10 I'd just leave the 4 speed.

But to answer your question, it occurs to me m5od is not a removable belhousing... not sure...

Fellro

Staff member
M5OD is a one piece trans, as is the ZF. That isn't a big issue though, as there are plenty available to hook up to the 300/302/351W. If you feel the need to go 5 speed with the cheaper one, I would recommend going to the ZF. Over all, it is a bolt in swap, with the typical little irritations.

ok, so it sounds to me like keeping it a 4speed isnt a bad thing. i guess ill just have to guage it. i think i would rather swap in a rear end than a tranny anyway. hmm... thanks for the input guys! yall are great and im very greatful to be a part of the FTF community! sounds cliche i know lol.
/THREAD!

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts