Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

I concede...

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
...kinda.

Picked up a parts suburban today, for $100 I couldn't beat it.

The muffler is rusted through, along with most of the exhaust pipe, so it's esentially straight piped.

Now to the point of the thread:

It was fun to drive! The burbling and popping when you let off the gas, the thundering when you open that QuadraJet up, all the old ladies scowling at you when you go flying through the residential area... it was pretty cool.

I still prefer the quiet sophisticated performance of Flowmasters for a daily driver, but now I can really see where all the straight pipe and glass pack people are coming from. It might be fun to have on a weekend trail rig or something...

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Was that 'muffler' and 'piped' as in singular????????? Oh well...at least with two vehicles now you have 2 pipes...hahahaha. Anyway...congrats on the burb...and that loud obnoxious sound will grow on ya, and you'll never wanna let it go.

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
So what ya gonna do for a motor in it?

It's for parts...doesn't need a motor. :D

and as for the sound, I like the sound of a good exhaust system, but there is something about a straight piped v8 (modified or not) when you let off from full throttle, that makes me wanna giggle like a school girl :D

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Wasn't GM's fourbarrel a quadrabog?,or was it quadrajunk?

Pretty sure you're right...but I believe the more common/street term for them is...junk.

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
Pretty sure you're right...but I believe the more common/street term for them is...junk.

Yeah, I was riding around with my pappaw and uncle in their 70's or 80's (not really sure..) Chevy 1500, regular cab, long bed, 350 with 4barrell,and automatic, with glasspack (yes that singular..)

They said "this truck has got some get up and go to it..." and stomped it to the floor at about 35ish, 5 seconds later we where doing about 47. (it didn't kick back to passing gear though, the linkage is messed up)

As much as I hate to say it, moms lumina gets up and runs faster than that truck... :slap:

Tyler said:
They said "this truck has got some get up and go to it..." and stomped it to the floor at about 35ish, 5 seconds later we where doing about 47. (it didn't kick back to passing gear though, the linkage is messed up)
Geeze-o-pete!!!, it accelerated 12 mph in 5 seconds??? That truck could be clocked at a drag strip with a sun dial!!!

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
Geeze-o-pete!!!, it accelerated 12 mph in 5 seconds??? That truck could be clocked at a drag strip with a sun dial!!!

I might not have even been going that fast...

We can blame it on the piece of plywood, 3-4 cinder blocks, and 5 or so gallons of water in the back though. smiliepeelout

Ford Truck Articles