Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Hurst Shifter Install

TheRoadVirus

High-Steppin' Mo-Sheen
Well, the shifter arrived on thursday and I just got around to installing it today. I wasn't going too, because it's freezing cold out.. even in the garage. But it was bugging me so I went and got her done. Oh.. as you can see from the pics I have a non-stock black interior. The previous owner did it and if you look the camera really shows the flaws. It doesn't look that bad if I didn't have to use the flash.. :suspicious:

Old shifter
1stkx4.jpg

Shifter removed
2ndok9.jpg

Internals are clean and shiny.. surroundings.. not so much.
3rdirtyob5.jpg

Of course I didn't read the instructions and I installed it backwards the first time..
4thonwrongloloe9.jpg

Correctly..
5thonrightaq0.jpg

Finished product.. oh so sexy.
6thnm3.jpg

Another..
7thjd5.jpg

When I first got it seated and bolted in I went to check for free movement and it seemed really weird. Turns out it was just because the shifts are sooo much shorter. This shifter rocks! Franken you gotta get one man, you won't be dissappointed. Oh and that trim piece that goes in the top of the boot that you see.. that was the biggest pain in the ass ever to get in there. I didn't drill and screw that trim piece around the boot down yet because I've still gotta adjust the stoppers and such.. too damn cold.

So what do ya'll think? :)

P.s. Skan, do you want me to send you my old shifter so you can play around with it and pretend you have a 5 spd? smilietease

Last edited:

TheRoadVirus

High-Steppin' Mo-Sheen
Thanks, like I said earlier, for me it's not just the way it looks either (which is sweet!) it really does shorten the shifts quite a bit and I can't wait to drive it with this thing.

i like it ALOT. having always owned standards that would be a good supplement.

TheRoadVirus . . . .

.....wanna say good lookin & sweet shifter install & all there RdVirus; BUT, { and i hope you'all DON'T think i am taking side's for on Skandocious:)paranoid: .....:suspicious: )} .....WAS looking at your pic's and was wondering WHAT that loose/misplace'd wire with a "switch" of some sort for showing, backwards by the pedal's? ?'smiliedoh' ? ?:eek: ? ?

by guessin =
(a.) NOS_button[from the old shifter]:drool: smiliepeelout ,
(b.) Brake_Light button [fell off the pedal] :idea: ,

(c.) Floorboard_Starter_button[screw's missing] :eek: ,

(d.) just the ol' "quicky=fix"_HORN_button
[just fell/hanggin down 4 now] :paranoid:.....:rolleyes:. . . . .

Like i said, :rolling laugh: Chris :rofl2: is gonna luv this "curious question of":fan:......[LOLOLOL....]

mr. Charles:p

Hahahah.

Hey Charles I think it's the "please go fast I wanna beat this ricer" button :rofl2:

............(a.) . . . huh? ! ? ! ? ! :rofl: :wasntme: :rolling laugh: :paranoid: 'smiliecrazy'

mr. Charles

89frankenford

Grabber Green Consultant
NH
whoa. thats looks wicked sick man! yeah i definately think thats what im going to get this summer! let me know how it works for ya. how long did it take for you to install it?

TheRoadVirus

High-Steppin' Mo-Sheen
Lmao, that was a rigged up horn button to pass safety. I just never bothered removing it and I was starting too recently but haven't finished the job (procrastination!).

For those of you who aren't in the know, I'm not driving the truck right now (it's in the garage for the winter). I most likely won't be driving it for quite a while since I'm going to school and gotta save $$$.

Oh, and Franken.. it didn't take long at all. I had to keep going in and out of the house to get misc. stuff so I'd say about 30 mins, if that. It was super easy. I skipped the remove shifter stick part and just took it out as an assembly. It's basically > pull up boot, remove three screws > pull shifter out > put bottom plate from the shifter and gasket on (3 screws) > put the new assembly into the trans and screw in to the bottom plate (4 screws) > it's in.. just put the boot over and drill the holes for the plate to hold the boot down > secure with sheetmetal screws supplied (didn't do that yet) > oh and adjust stoppers > oh and get that plate into the top of the boot (sucks!!). There ya go.

Oh, and Chris.. I don't waste my time with ricers.. my LONGTUBES scare 'em off. :guns:

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts