Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

hubs semi locked

I have an 05 xlt f-150 with 72k on it. The truck has the 5.4 and is also is equiped with the towing package. 4x4 with the floor shifter for the 4x4. With the cold weather we have been having here in NC when I leave for work in the morning with my truck I am hearing a whinning sound coming from the right front area. this starts at around 15 mph and i got scared at 25 and pulled over. I then put the truck in 4x4 and drove it and that made the noise go away. The truck has never been off roaded. I only use 4wheel drive in the yard or when I am in MI and the snowy roads. I thinik there may be water in the vacum pump freezing holding the huib slightly locked. Would that make sense?

Thanks again,
Michael

blacksnapon

Staff member
I have an 05 xlt f-150 with 72k on it. The truck has the 5.4 and is also is equiped with the towing package. 4x4 with the floor shifter for the 4x4. With the cold weather we have been having here in NC when I leave for work in the morning with my truck I am hearing a whinning sound coming from the right front area. this starts at around 15 mph and i got scared at 25 and pulled over. I then put the truck in 4x4 and drove it and that made the noise go away. The truck has never been off roaded. I only use 4wheel drive in the yard or when I am in MI and the snowy roads. I thinik there may be water in the vacum pump freezing holding the huib slightly locked. Would that make sense?

Thanks again,
Michael
Use it a couple of times, putting it in and out of 4x4. That would eliminate the possibility of grease (or lack thereof) preventing the lockout mechanism from working properly. Is your hvac working ok?

I am assuming that my hvac is working. It seems to be locking and unlocking just fine. Just seems to hang up. When I leave work in the evenings I don't have this problem.

blacksnapon

Staff member
try this

TSB
06-8-15 INTERMITTENT IWE NOISE, 4WDH LIGHT AND/OR 4X4 SYSTEM INOPERATIVE, DTCS - C1979 AND C1980

Publication Date: April 18, 2006

FORD: 2004-2006 F-150
LINCOLN: 2006 Mark LT

ISSUE:
Some 2004-2006 F-150 and 2006 Mark LT 4X4 vehicles built before 4/24/2006 may exhibit a noise in 2 wheel drive from the front Integrated Wheel Ends (IWE) and/or the 4X4 system being inoperative. The IWE solenoid may have ingested water and passed it to the IWE system causing water contamination in the vacuum portion of the system. A shorted IWE solenoid can set the codes C1979 and C1980. If either code is present, the 4WDH light will be inoperative.

ACTION:
Use the following Service Procedure to check and repair the 4X4 system.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Replace the IWE solenoid. Torque the new design bracket and solenoid to 62 lb-in (7 N-m). It will be necessary to remove the vacuum lines from each IWE down at the wheels to check for water being present.
If no water is present at the vacuum line at the IWE, install the new solenoid with bracket. Reconnect all vacuum hoses.
If water is present allow it to drain from the vacuum lines. Then follow the updated procedure outlined in 2006 Workshop Manual (WSM) on-line version, Section 308-07A, Pin Point Tests B21 and B22. These tests checks IWE leak rates with vacuum and will remove any residual water from the IWE. Reconnect all vacuum hoses.
If the IWE looses vacuum quicker than specification. Refer to WSM, Section 204-01B for normal diagnostic procedures.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
6L3Z-9E441-A IWE Solenoid

If I read that right it would mean that my 4wd light would not work, but that is not the case. I will look at it and see if I can see something this evening! Thank you for time and insite!

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts