Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Hub cap removal? Air valve extensions?

Do hubcaps simply pry off from outside rim? Or, does center cap have to be removed first?

Do you recommend adding tire fill extensions or simply removing caps to get at recessed air valves? I wanna adjust pressure to 50 psi. Thanks guys.

Jerry

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
What style hubcaps do you have? If they're the ones I'm thinking of then you'll probably need valve extensions or to remove the hubcap. It does pry off fairly easily.

Got hubcaps off

Thanks for help. My caps cover entire hub and rim. Got em pried off. Sprayed wheel hub/rims and caps. with Gunk and then pressure washed off 26 years worth of dirt. While removed, we aired up tires to 50 front and 55 rear, and then reinstalled caps.

Also pressure washed under fenders.

Sure does make a positive diff for us OCD folks HA

Jerry

Beach66Bum

Top Poster Of Month
Thanks for help. My caps cover entire hub and rim. Got em pried off. Sprayed wheel hub/rims and caps. with Gunk and then pressure washed off 26 years worth of dirt. While removed, we aired up tires to 50 front and 55 rear, and then reinstalled caps.

Also pressure washed under fenders.

Sure does make a positive diff for us OCD folks HA

Jerry

To double check on your tire inflation, it should be around 75% of the rating on the side of the tire, not necessarily what is on the door jamb sticker. Many times the tires on a vehicle have been changed and are not the size that came stock. :)

Beach66Bum

Top Poster Of Month
Roy, very good point. So, if my tire shows 80 psi max, at 75%, I should prob fill cold to around 50 psi?

I would start at 60 psi cold, see how the ride is. May feel a bit "rough" still.
A lot of people will chalk their tires and see how the line wears off the tread. If the tire is over inflated, the chalk line will wear off from the centre of the tread only.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
I you have the same hubcaps I do on my '89, You won't want to take them off and put them back on anymore than you have to. Yes, definitely get extensions. The caps are hard to keep lined up when you put them on, so keep an eye on the valve stems. Also get a weighted rubber hammer to help put them back on. It saves a lot of frustration and or curse words. :D

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts