Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Howdy!

Howdy! I am a recovered Chevy owner who has jumped to the Blue Oval. Looks like there is a wealth of information here. I have a 97 Expedition and a 2003 F550. I am in the market for a 2004-2008 F 250 Crew cab 4X4, with a 5.4 gas. The Expedition has the 5.4 and has been trouble free. The 550 has the 6.0 stroke, which has an appetite for injectors. (Just had 2 replaced today, to the tune of $1065 P&L.)

The Expedition has the shift on the fly 4WD, which I hate. That knob on the dash has given me greif a time or 3, but the 550 has the lock out hubs and the honest-to-God panic stick, which gives zero problems. A few of the 250's I've looked at have the lock out hubs, but no panic stick...just the blasted knob or dial on the dash. I'd like to know the opinions of the members here on the "old style" set up versus the "new style" 4WD. I live in Nebraska, so it can get plenty cold here, and lots of mud, snow, etc. I am a livestock feed dealer so the truck would go out in all kinds of weather and on all kinds of roads, including out to the cattle pastures.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Welcome to FTF!...I had an 02 550 with the 7.3...I think it was a Friday or Monday morning truck!..we get -40 here and have had no issues with the new shifting, although we do lock the hubs in when we know we are gonna be in high torque situations.

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
Welcome to FTF! :wavey:

A lot of those trucks were ordered with the conventional 4X4 setup- just a question of finding one.

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
Welcome to the site!

The place that seems to have the closest to what I'm looking for is Century Truck Sales in Grand Prairie, Texas. The XL package is just fine with me..crank windows, rubber floor, vinyl bench seat, etc.

I KNOW what I'm looking for is out there, just a matter of being patient, I guess. If the hubs were locked in, would the dial or knob work reliably under most conditions?

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
The place that seems to have the closest to what I'm looking for is Century Truck Sales in Grand Prairie, Texas. The XL package is just fine with me..crank windows, rubber floor, vinyl bench seat, etc.

I KNOW what I'm looking for is out there, just a matter of being patient, I guess. If the hubs were locked in, would the dial or knob work reliably under most conditions?

I do believe it will be more reliable as it doesn't just rely on the vacuum for the hubs...someone else might be able to better answer that question though.

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
i thought those truck had a "locked or auto" setting on the hubs, so if the vac fails you can still lock your hubs to get to hi ground...
Still leaves your transfer case electronically controlled though.

The Electric Shift transfer cases are barely ever a problem. The auto hubs are where the problems lye, but the SDs have manual override on the hubs so, i wouldn't hesitate to get the ESOF system on Superduty. Some day I'm gonna have to switch to manual hubs on my bronco.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts