Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Howdy from East Tennessee

Hi new to the site, I own a 96 f150. It's a work in progress. When I bought it someone already installed a 4? inch rough country lift and put a 4 speed tranny in it and it's 5.0. Also, sitting on 33's
Either due to the lift or abuse the front crossmember is cracked on the passenger side. So my plan is just get rid of the TTB and do a SAS. The swap isn't for looks or bigger tires, to me this should be easier than trying to swap the crossmember or trying to weld it and still have problems. I have no clue what I'm in for but hope it's not too complicated. I have mechanical experience and can weld or do some fabbing.

Anyways, so that's it. Name is Rocky smilieFordlogo

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Welcome to FTF!...post up some pics when you can!

blacksnapon

Staff member
Welcome to the site!

Welcome I hope to follow along on your conversion here
I'll have to get the funds together to get all the parts, kinda on the back burner till we travel to Texas in July for Vacation. All in all I should be able to get it done a little cheaper than some. I know a few Junkyards and one in particular I know the owner well lol. Bad thing is he keeps mostly newer cars.

And thanks to the rest and I apologize, Fords aren't my only cars. I have a 94 Dodge Ram as my daily driver and a 04 Chevy Colorado that the wife drives.
The F150 is a project. If I like the truck after I get it done I may keep it. I paid $1000 for it from a family member. It needed a lot of work. I replaced all the ball joints, front outer universal joints, breaks and exhaust. This was when I noticed the crossmember was cracked and was ready to just let it go, after sinking $600 into it and still didn't feel safe about driving it.
Now with this idea, that money may be wasted unless I can find someone to buy the old TTB stuff.
Truck has some dings and dents here and there but nothing big and the rest of the truck is solid so I feel it is worth trying to keep it on the road than scrapping it. Engine runs and sounds great. Only thing I don't care for is the PO swapped the factory five speed out for a four speed, I guess for dependability and lower gear? But in low the shifter hits the dash hard when you go in gear. After the SAS I want to put a f250 5spd in and maybe re-gear.
Just mainly looking for a little help whether it's worth it and maybe a little tips here and there on the swap.

Anyways, there is the long short story. Any opinions appreciated.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts