Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

How to remove the Column Shift Knob?

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Molded on looking at mine.

I'd be willing to bet its pressed on like screw driver handles or something of that sort. Maybe even while it was warmed.
Go to the scrap yard and smash one and see whats inside.

It just doesn't make any sense since you can buy a replacement knob from Dennis Carpenter. So there has to be some kind of trick I would think.

Fellro

Staff member
They are splined, but typically only come off in pieces. I have had a few that got loose and would slide. Most are not separated easily..

Well I was just curious. Was considering replacing the shift level since it has a small bit of surface corrosion, but it doesn't really seem worth it.

Fellro

Staff member
Get some chrome wheel cleaner and clean that up, should be fine.

This is how I did it in my '91 Bronco in two pictures... xD
hoist6a.jpg

hoist7m.jpg

;)

Alvin in AZ

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
They are splined, but typically only come off in pieces. I have had a few that got loose and would slide. Most are not separated easily..

This right here...I typically just add some sort of filler and glue back on.

Okay I found a semi-fool proof way to get them off if they aren't totally dried out and come apart.

Step 1: get in on the passenger side of truck.
Step 2: clear everything out of the way.
Step 3: put on some work gloves.
Step 4: firmly grasp the shift knob while standing with your feet firmly planted.
Step 5: pull and wiggle with all your might straight away from the column shifter shaft.
Step 6: prepare to fly backwards when it suddenly lets go.
Step 7: rejoice.

At least that how I managed it. It's in one piece and still goes back on tightly. However, while it was off, I had this lying in a drawer in my tool box and decided, what the heck.
jygavuve.jpg

Fellro

Staff member
One way to put you behind the 8 ball... :)

Ford Truck Articles