Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

how to install a cd player??

so bought a nice brand new jvc cd player. but it wont fit!!! and theres NO wiring behind the dash for any kind of cd player? and 1 speaker in the dash?

so what do you guys do? is it even worth my time?? i mean i will have to do way more work to just make this dang thing even fit? and how do i mount it in the dash???

i didnt install mine, the stereo shop did, but i can tell you that they modified the brace thats behind the radio, ran wiring and put speakers in the existing holes behind the door panels (yes they are there), and ran their own wiring for power and whatnot

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
and put speakers in the existing holes behind the door panels (yes they are there),

Yep, sure are.

My Bronco came with just one speaker in the dash, and somewhere along the line dad tied into it and ran wiring for two door speakers (which I'm in the process of replacing with new ones, if it ever quits raining long enough to do it).

+ subscribing to this thread, as I'm hoping to upgrade to a newer/better radio in the near future.

The reason i put it in parentheses is to make it clear. ive seen people cut holes in the door below the panel for speakers, being completely ignorant of the holes behind the panel. Just making sure no one cuts up a good door! YelloThumbUp

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
The reason i put it in parentheses is to make it clear. ive seen people cut holes in the door below the panel for speakers, being completely ignorant of the holes behind the panel. Just making sure no one cuts up a good door! YelloThumbUp

Ouch.... why wouldn't they pull the panel and check?

I don't think I would cut into the panel anyway, with that grill in it.. I would want it behind there. :headbang:

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
You'll have to modify the mounting bracket. Here is what I did. I took a piece of sheet metal and traced the DIN mount on that to cut a hole. Than took that sheet metal and and riveted it to the stock mounting bracket and then cut out what I needed of the stock bracket. The final product ended up like this. It's not the prettiest thing in the world but worked just fine.

IMG_0519.jpg

For speakers, I'd recommend getting a dual voice coil speaker for the dash. I bought mine through LMC and sounds pretty good.

Wow, actually turned out to be a good thing? :)
Radios playing in my head, no new wiring needed.

Can't you just sing/scream to yourself tho? :/
Oh heck, I get it now... you don't know the lyrics! LOL :)

Well here they are to make it easy for you... :)
-------------------
Cat's foot, iron claw, neuro-surgeons scream for more, at paranoia's poison door,
Twenty first century schizoid man.

Blood rack, barbed wire, polititians' funeral pyre, innocents raped with napalm fire,

Death seed, blind man's greed, poets' starving, children bleed, nothing he's got he really needs,
------------------

Nutty-Boy in AZ
ps- Been waitin' a month to post those lyrics to a "stereo thread". ;)

Last edited:

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
These are supposed to work because it says for an E150 and higher and that application is mentioned twice thinking they meant an F150 and higher.... but, haven't tried it yet.. Can I sell you one or trade for a power brake pedal stamped MA ?

http://www.scosche.com/products/sfID1/151/sfID2/152

To avoid cutting out the dash bezel.

What I did is buy a Pioneer remote disc player and have 5 disc magazines behind the seat wired into it's own speaker set up.

One like this

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Pioneer-CDX-M33-...wItemQQptZCar_Audio_Video?hash=item5886a935c7

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Brand-New-Pionee...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_2?hash=item2306168625

Last edited:

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
You can always put (as said) 6 1/2"s in the doors (running the wire is easy, even though you'll have to drill holes in the door and cab), two 3.5's fit in the dash nicely, an amp will fit inder the seat and there's plenty of room behid the seat. YelloThumbUp

005-10.jpg

I did as Buck did his HU install, measure twice and cut once.:beer:

EDIT: Found a Pic.

005-9.jpg

Last edited:

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Also, if your CD player is really deep, the wiper motor might interfere with the installation. There are also "retro" shaft-style radios that have a connection to a cd changer. They fit in the old radio bracket without any modification, but they are pretty darn expensive($300).

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
Also, if your CD player is really deep, the wiper motor might interfere with the installation. There are also "retro" shaft-style radios that have a connection to a cd changer. They fit in the old radio bracket without any modification, but they are pretty darn expensive($300).

I had to heat up my A/C ducting and mold the plastic in order to get mine to fit.

Jolly Green

I Salt My Ketchup
I used to run a six-disc CD changer with an FM Modulator so you could just tune into the changer with any radio. I thought it worked and sounded great. Can you still get a changer, or even an mp3 player that works like that?

By the way--while everyone else is going forward, I went back. Just tossed a Pioneer unit and installed a factory AM-FM radio I bought from Buck. I love it!

Last edited:

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
By the way--while everyone else is going forward, I went back. Just tossed a Pioneer unit and installed a factory AM-FM radio I bought from Buck. I love it!

That's actually the route I'm kinda thinking of going. I don't listen to Cd's and usually just listen to my favorite couple of stations. And when I do get the hankering to listen to my iPod, I have the cig lighter adapter...it's not the crispest sound...but it works.

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
I had a perfectly good working 8 track player I had out of an old Grand Marquis. I wish I could get that thing in there. I would use it in a heartbeat. Then I could have a big case of 8 tracks in my truck.

Too bad you would have to make a custom mounts because of the offset radio carriage on those CAR versions

ok so i did this:

made a bracket.

bought a JVC cd player. really nice.
6 1/2" phoenix gold speakers in the doors
tweeters in the doors
2 12" rockford fostgate punch P1 in a custom built box by me and my roommate
borrowed 280 watt MTX amp

it pounds reallly hard!! its crazy. so im happy it was worth the time and trouble!

You can always put (as said) 6 1/2"s in the doors (running the wire is easy, even though you'll have to drill holes in the door and cab), two 3.5's fit in the dash nicely, an amp will fit inder the seat and there's plenty of room behid the seat. YelloThumbUp

005-10.jpg

I did as Buck did his HU install, measure twice and cut once.:beer:

EDIT: Found a Pic.

005-9.jpg

Sportin the JL Audio and Alpine FTW!!! Seems like Alpine just goes well with these trucks as I've seen plenty of Alpine systems in them (including mine) lol. Need me some good JL Audio though...

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts