Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

How to I.D. a rear end?

I had a Pinion Gear try to escape through the Differential cover. :-( Bad Pinion gear). Information I have on the truck is below. My question is... Is the "H9" Axel code on the door placard enough to positivley identify the rear end as one I could use with my truck if I pull it from an F150 or Bronco? I'd hate to pull one from a junkyard only to have it not fit or the gear ratio be wrong.

1989 F150, 4.9, M50D E9TA. Transfer case is a Borg Warner 13 56. The window sticker indicated a 3,55 Optional Ratio Axle. Limited slip. Another number I am pulling from another sheet shows the Rear Axle as an 807D There also appears to be an "Exciter Ring" for the rear antilock breaks. I doubt they work. The placard on the door indicates H9 for the Axle code. I could see no number stamped on the axle tubes. Any ratio plate attached to a differential bolt is long ago rusted away.

Any thoughts????

Thanks, Joe

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
We used to have a list of the Ford axle code chart numbers and what they could be had in here some where . Where is sticky list ??? 15 minute and I give up

.3:55 limited slip is H9 . other wise will say 19 on jamb tag .

There r 4:10's Out there factory .

#18 is 3:08
#25 4:10 H5

Good luck

Last edited:

optikalillushun

Coal Cracker
i have never seen a half ton ford with 4:10s except for lightnings. if u are unsure on the gear ratio of the donor either pull off the cover and count the teeth on both sets of gears and divide em or a simplier way is to spin the pinion and count how many turns it takes to drum to make one full spin. u can also spin the drum one full turn and see how many times the yoke spins. so if the yoke spins 3 1/2 times its 3:55 gearing.

Thanks so much for the info on the ratio. Since no one mentioned Bronco rears as an option I will only look at 89 F 150s with H9 code and 3.5 yoke spins per 1 drum spin to verify. I will also look for the Antilock ring

Joe

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
I think the broncos of that era are the same as the f150s... codes on the door sticker will be the same too. They should all be Ford 8.8" axles...

Michigan
You can use a bronco rear axle. Still a 8.8 and your more apt to find a bronco with 3.55's

Guess it's not a FAQ? I'm off to see if the library has more than my Chilton?

Glad my Truck don't ask... "Does this differential cover makes my rear end look too big!" It don't care about my answer. LOL!

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I found the C clips. I removed most of the differential pinion shaft lock bolt. The darn thing broke inside!!! I couldn't remove the pinion shaft! After tweezers and dental tools I removed the broken bolt! wooo Hooo!

NOW... If I have to remove the gears to get the axle shafts out anyway... Is there any reason I can't just replace the broken gear with new gears? Or would the existing wear pattern trash new gears? The alternative is a replacement junkyard rear.

Thanks again for your ideas, Joe

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
You would want to get the whole differential setup properly...best left to having it done if you are not familiar with gear setup.

Ford Truck Articles