Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

How much was gas...

I think you're the first person other than me to use that smiley since I asked for it. Wicked! smilietease :goldteef:

. . . . . L O L O L ..... :paranoid: .....:rolling laugh:..... { i thought it was my avatar with a mask on .....smilietease }

mr. Charles smilieneenar

gas was $1.39 I believe when I started driving and my little '85 prelude used to cost $19 to fill up from completely bone dry. This morning I wake up and take Rob potty outside and look at the gas station across the street- damn thing went up 13 cents OVERNIGHT. I was thinking about buying gas yesterday too since I have to drive a lot this weekend. Damnit...

thank goodness my car gets 32-35 highway mpg :D

Is this the reason Canadian gas prices are still sometimes (always?) displayed in cents/liter?

Yes Canada changed almost everything to metric in 1978 and the pumps only had 3 digits for price so they had to do something because the new pumps weren't made yet.

I remember gasoline prices easily as I was poor 16 y/o working for $0.50 /hr to $1.00/hr ( I had 5 jobs then and went to school).
In 1967,I was driving my 52 Austin A40 somerset saloon and one Friday night needed to gas to handle the Friday night drive of about 15-20 miles.
I remember it was about 7:00 pm when I pulled into the B/A station I worked at and Gene comes running out to the pumps and says: "Fill 'er up Brat ?"
I said: "No, Just a Dime's worth" to which he said:"want me to sneeze in the tires too".

I've never forgot forgot that line and use it occasionally myself.

Gene drove a Red 57 T-Bird (imagine,only 8 years old at the time)
His brother owned a Brand new 66 GTO.

Those were the days... my friends

Mil1on said:
Those were the days... my friends

......and good ones they were!!!

andym

Real men are fanatics
When I started driving gas was just starting to hit $1/gal. I remember filling up my mom's car for her at $.89/gal though.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
...my little '85 prelude used to cost $19 to fill up from completely bone dry.

I remember the first time Dad put $20 in his Focus...not long after, I put $40 in my truck for the first time. I'd about bet I'll put $40 in the Focus before too long, now. :(

andym

Real men are fanatics
I can squeeze $40 in our civic if it's REALLY low.

blacksnapon

Staff member
One of my first jobs was at a texaco station. I remember thinking "how does he afford to drive this thing?", when I pumped $11 into a Cadillac.

HOLY CRAP YOU'RE OLD!!!
'K Whippersnapper, the way you make it sound they were just phasing out buggy whips!!:slap: You've probably never heard of a gas war or a service station for that matter. Service stations in close proximity of one another would compete for your business by advertising on placards or white shoe polish in their windows the price of their gas. One would lower the price by a penny then the other would match it or go another penny per gallon cheaper. Sometimes it would get pretty brutal.

Service stations attendants would wash your windshield, check your oil, air in your tires, and offer to vacuum your car just for your business.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
'K Whippersnapper, the way you make it sound they were just phasing out buggy whips!!:slap: You've probably never heard of a gas war or a service station for that matter. Service stations in close proximity of one another would compete for your business by advertising on placards or white shoe polish in their windows the price of their gas. One would lower the price by a penny then the other would match it or go another penny per gallon cheaper. Sometimes it would get pretty brutal.

Service stations attendants would wash your windshield, check your oil, air in your tires, and offer to vacuum your car just for your business.
I just don't understand what you all were doing at GAS stations if your cars were propelled by your feel underneath....

flintstonecar.gif

andym

Real men are fanatics
Good one Chris! :rofl:

smiliegitrdone

I think it was like $1.60 or so, it seemed high at the time. I remember thinking to myself "I have to work a whole hour to drive 100 miles" and that was when I made $6.50 an hour and got 25mpg in my old Mazda, lol.

$6.50/$1.60 = 4.0625gal * 25mpg = 101.56 miles

Quote:
I just don't understand what you all were doing at GAS stations if your cars were propelled by your feet underneath....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

hey, that was the easy part.. the hard part was getting stopped so you didn't hit the guy on the side of the road making wheels new wheels out of rocks and killing him. :)

Ford Truck Articles