Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

How much to rebuild a 10.25 rear end?

mustanginca

California Chapter member
I've been replacing carrier bearings on my drive shaft for a while now. When I replaced it awhile back I noticed the yoke on the rear end had a lot of play. I bought a new yoke from Tom's Bronco graveyard and it didn't fit right. So $80 down the drain. But I was able to tighten up the old one good enough or so I thought.

Carrier bearing still goes out. I think it's mainly when I step on the gas out of a turn. Just haven't had the money to replace my rear end. I like the stock gears just want them replaced. Any idea how much that should run me. It's something I really don't wanna do myself. Thanks.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Are you sure the play is originating inside the pumpkin? That pinion nut is pretty notorious for coming loose. Did you recheck it after tightening?

If you've got enough play to trash multiple carrier bearings then I think your gears would have exploded by now if they were bad.

Have had the cover off to inspect for chips or wear marks on the ring gear? Hell we live so close, let's get together and work on that thing. I wanna see it, it's an awesome truck.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
And to answer question, a stock ring and pinion set should run around $250-300 from a rebuild shop. And if the installer breaks the crosspin bolt (like he did to mine) you'll have to buy a new carrier too, which will run $50-100 for an open carrier, or several hundred for a limited slip. My Ford limited slip for the 8.8" was $310. Then you'll need a rebuild kit (bearings, seals, etc) which is around $50-75.

Here's my receipt:
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u269/Skandociouss/Truck Crap/Gear Swap/DSC00802.jpg

Took it to a very reputable shop in Sac. They do fantastic work, turn around the truck QUICK (a front and rear gear swap in my truck in a matter of a few hours), but they have very moderate prices (not the cheapest in town but still not the most expensive). The only issue I had was that he broke my crosspin bolt and claimed it was already broken (and I knew that it was NOT). So when I argued with him and told him he was a liar, he discounted the price on the new limited-slip carrier and I ended up getting it for a very good price (which was fine cuz mine was shot anyways :rofl: )

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles