Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

How can i add more gas capacity

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
Let me add that you also need the longer straps for the Bronco tank. I have one in my 94 F150.

msb71

Virginia Chapter Leader
Hampton,VA
Almost forgot that , but in retrospect I did say that it would be better to get Bronco Straps from the boneyard.

Thanks guys, I'll have to look at all of it. It'll really be a pain to give up the tire mount for me, at any given time Red has 20+ square bales of hay or 500lbs of feed or 7 saddles and blankets piled into the bed. Same story with the tool box it is loaded with all my tools (a girl must always be prepared) as well as all my bridles and a first aid kit for horses. I may just have to suck it up and leave the mini tank alone.
Does anyone know why ford motor company decided to put a tank that small into a truck that gets 16 miles to the gallon an a GOOD day? Seems kinda silly that the second tank wasn't automatically put into all those models...
But then I'm just asking

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
Does anyone know why ford motor company decided to put a tank that small into a truck that gets 16 miles to the gallon an a GOOD day?
Maybe because that truck with the Centurion conversion was just meant to be a looker around town instead of a work truck? :wavey: At least the Red ones were, right Mike?

Michigan
Also keep in mind the gas prices at the time these trucks were new. At $1.25 a gallon it woulda cost 40 bucks to fill up the 32 gallon tank. Now it cost me $130.56. Ive also asked why they put bigger tanks in the bronco's but these trucks was made for going way back in the woods, long trips and whatnot. So thats easy to see.

Also skan, some broncos dont have swinging tire racks :) haha

Michigan
back then no one cared about what MPG their truck was getting. My dad had a brand new extended cab short box EB 150 4x4 with the 351. I asked him if he could remember what his truck got for mpg new. He said WHAT DO I CARE!! Gas was cheap. he said he use to complain filling both tanks up at 50 bucks..... Can you imagine what it would cost now.

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
The bed tank is sounding like a little less work and trouble. I think I'll look into a little more then see, not sure I want to give up my spare tire mount since the bed of my truck is usually loaded down with feed hay or saddles so the spare would just be a pain in the behind if it was stuck in the bed. Thanks for the input, need to do a little more research and see how the bed tank is put into the truck and all. since i already have a tool box I guess I'll have to give it up if I go that route though. hmmmmmm I guess I have to give something up either way.

The Spare standing up will take less space than any Gas tank in bed. The bronco is easy and plugs in little modifications. Your truck is fuel injected unless u r gravity feed into existing tank u will have fuel pumps ETC to worry about .

The only thing with swap is bronco tank. The 1 I did was little shorter had to fab a angle for it.

msb71

Virginia Chapter Leader
Hampton,VA
Maybe because that truck with the Centurion conversion was just meant to be a looker around town instead of a work truck? :wavey: At least the Red ones were, right Mike?

I just caught this... MY truck sees way too much highway and jobsite use , It IS a worktruck. But it is not treated like one , I don't purposelly go out and try to blow it up. Unlike some ppl I know.:wavey:

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
Well these were short beds and they could be had only 1 tank on reg cabs 4x4. I guess was not worth the extra work back then..

kind of on topic - has anyone seen a bronco spare tire arm on a pickup truck? i can't decide how it would look.

EDIT: aren't bronco's more narrow...like flareside narrow. so on a full-size, the arm wouldn't be long enough

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
EDIT: aren't bronco's more narrow...like flareside narrow. so on a full-size, the arm wouldn't be long enough

No, at least not if you're talking about the full-size Broncos built after '78. They're the same width.

Michigan
yea bronco's are the same width as a regular 150 250 or 350. Also i dont think that the spare tire carrier would work, the (Box side) if thats what you want to call it, on a bronco is much deeper, the tailgate is also alot taller. I dont think it would look to good n e ways. I kinda dont like the look of the carrier when the top is off.

I'm a little confused, I check the parts catalog and the 95 F150 list a aft and a mid tank. The aft axle tank shows 18 gallons and the midship tank 17 or 19 gal depending on options, wheel base etc. so why not add a midship tank, not that you can get it from Ford any more, but there are tank places out there. one place I have used for years when I was in Calif was Arrow tank
http://www.aerotanks.com/ give them a shot might be a way for you to get what you need.

Ed

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
I have seen Reg cab short boxes with 2 tanks around here all the time.

Not 4x4's . The last Reg cabs with duals were in late 80s' . I had 6 new reg shorts and would have loved the extra tank, But was told not option . Most I see have just used beds from sc trucks and they had 2 tanks..

Last edited:

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
I'm a little confused, I check the parts catalog and the 95 F150 list a aft and a mid tank. The aft axle tank shows 18 gallons and the midship tank 17 or 19 gal depending on options, wheel base etc. so why not add a midship tank, not that you can get it from Ford any more, but there are tank places out there. one place I have used for years when I was in Calif was Arrow tank
http://www.aerotanks.com/ give them a shot might be a way for you to get what you need.

Ed
The frames were stretched (Reg to crew) and if I remember right the mid ship is not a easy bolt in for them.

Not 4x4's . The last Reg cabs with duals were in late 80s' . I had 6 new reg shorts and would have loved the extra tank, But was told not option . Most I see have just used beds from sc trucks and they had 2 tanks..
Larry,
The dual tanks were standard in the late eighties reg. cab shortbed 4x4's Lariat pkge. I ordered and owned one....

Fourth item down under preferred equipment package of my '89 window sticker...

scan0001Medium.jpg

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts