Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

How can i add more gas capacity

As you all know I have a 95 Ford C-150, I have a single gas tank instead of the dual with the dash switch. I don't want to change the body in anyway, (ie adding the additional tank and cutting a new door into the side). So I would like a few sugggestions on ways to add tank space (sorry I'm at a loss for words today, blonde girlie moment i think).
I was thinking about the tool box tank but I am curious about the safety of that. i'm a little concerned about having 20 gallons of gas strapped to the bed of my truck.
I am only considering the change because my hometown is 500 miles from here and when i go home I have to stop every 150-175 miles and fill up it is very very annoying.
So please lets have a few ideas...
Thanks in advance

Michigan
What size tank? Cant you add a bronco tank, 32 gallon capacity.

Michigan
Yea ive heard of some people switching out their rear tanks for a bronco tank. Big tank for sure, times i wish i had the 25 gallon tank instead of the 32 because it would seam less painful at the pump lol... Hope someone can chime in and help ya out.

A few guys I used to work with had a pair of toolbox-fuel tanks and they were very happy with them. Seemed pretty safe too...if you think about it, you have 20 gallons of gas UNDER your bed too, lol.

That bronco fuel tank would be cool if it fit, can't help ya out there though seeing as I'm not too familiar with either vehicle, good luck finding something YelloThumbUp

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
The 32 gallon bronco tank is a direct swap but you'll lose your spare tire mount. You also need to get the fuel pump and sending unit out of the bronco too.

Michigan
Yea there u go good point andy :) If i had a truck it would have the auxiliary bed fuel tank.

The bed tank is sounding like a little less work and trouble. I think I'll look into a little more then see, not sure I want to give up my spare tire mount since the bed of my truck is usually loaded down with feed hay or saddles so the spare would just be a pain in the behind if it was stuck in the bed. Thanks for the input, need to do a little more research and see how the bed tank is put into the truck and all. since i already have a tool box I guess I'll have to give it up if I go that route though. hmmmmmm I guess I have to give something up either way.

Michigan
They make the fuel tanks with a built in tool box. They are expensive but amazing!

Michigan
Ive never seen a pic of her truck. If its a shortbed then your gonna be a little short for room, wheel well might get in the way. Most the trucks ive seen that had em was long box superdutys. If not then go the cheaper rout and get the other tank and sell the box. Id like to have both tho.

Buddy had that combo in diamond plate, tool box opened with a motor and had a lock like a car would on a fob. It was awesome!

msb71

Virginia Chapter Leader
Hampton,VA
Crysann , I swapped mine for the 32 Gal Bronco tank , not much to do really , it is a direct swap , you just need a Bronco sending unit and Pump which is only gotten at the dealer , also will help to get the Tank mount from a Bronco , which you can find at a boneyard.
I have had no problems with this swap , glad I did , I drive a lot at work and it got old having to fill up every other day. Now it's only twice a week.

Michigan
What did u do with your spare?

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
cysann said:
How can i add more gas capacity
Get fat and eat beans. :) That's what I've done. Hey, in my defense, if the women can't find you handsome, they should at least find you funny!!

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
On the Bronco tank...if it displaces the spare tire, it goes behind the axle, no?

But if there's just one tank on the truck, it's in front of the axle, right?

I'm just askin', here...

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
On the Bronco tank...if it displaces the spare tire, it goes behind the axle, no?

But if there's just one tank on the truck, it's in front of the axle, right?

I'm just askin', here...
Mike is correct. The stock single tank on our trucks is BEHIND the axle. The stock bronco tank is also BEHIND the axle, but deeper. It's a direct swap but you lose your spare tire (hence why the bronco has it mounted on the tailgate swing arm).

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts