Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

How are my motor mounts?

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
The vibration seems to only come if the truck is physically moving... So I don't think it's coming from a bad balancer...

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
For goodness sakes, its got the hippy hippy shakes.

couldn't resist. :p

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
For the record, when I talked to Tony on the phone yesterday, he explained that I was "the first hippie to call him today". Apparently Tony associates with lots of hippies in his spare time... Hmmm sounds fishy ;)

Fellro

Staff member
The balancer will make it at certain rpm's sometimes as well, so watch that if you can, and see if there is a correlation.

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
Im just going to throw this out there. Butonce upon a time i had a noticable vibration while going down the road. But occasionally while idling. And i was doing part of my tune up changing some vaccum lines out and after i changed the one going into the TB it ran great, no vibrations. But now i got grinding from the front end...getting me worried. But ill make another topic.

TheRoadVirus

High-Steppin' Mo-Sheen
Yea, I wouldn't be too worried about the motor mounts, they look fine. My engine moves a bit more than that, lol. Now you've got me worried. But then again I've never had any vibration trouble. Anyone on here ever run solid mounts? How bad are they for being uncomfortable? I think it'd be sorta fun.. the whole truck torquing with revs. :D

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Vibrations got real fierce coming down the mountains today... I let the mountains take me up to 75-80+ and the truck sure didn't like it... Makes me think something is out of balance like a wheel or the driveshaft... Couldn't be my torque converter or balancer because I was only running about 2500rpms... I'm gonna try to get my driveshaft balanced this week (as well as replacing the ujoints with spicers), then I'll try and get the tires balanced next weekend. If THAT doesn't fix it, you might be seeing my truck in the classifieds ;)

Fellro

Staff member
How long have you had your tires on? Sometimes the belts will start to break. Look for unusual wear, like an area more worn than the rest of the tire. If you find such, then you likely have a broken belt in that area.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
The tires have less than 5k miles, but they're junky tires... The PO put on really crappy A/Ts when he lifted the truck (Les Schwab in-house brand tires) and they became SEVERELY out of round. So they told me they'd give me a brand new set at a pro-rated price, since they had about 70% tread left. I was about to shell out the extra dinero for better tires until the guy CONVINCED me that these were quality, better than the current ones I had... These were 'made by Cooper' ... Yeah right, they're junk too. They bulge in the center like they're over-inflated but they're UNDER inflated :headbang:

Anyways, I'm gonna take it in to Les Schwab this week and watch them run the wheels on the machine. My brother told me about how American Tire used a machine to find the heavy points in the tire and the wheel separately, then they broken the bead, rotated the tire and wheel so the heavy points were opposite to each other, and THEN balanced it. Anyone heard of this? What is that procedure called?

TheRoadVirus

High-Steppin' Mo-Sheen
Hmm, when I think about it.. Whenever I've balanced new tires at the dealership I worked at and a small shop they didn't really call it a procedure. Sometimes the tires are marked and you turn the tires on the rim so the marks are opposite the valve-stem. That's the only thing that I recall about anything related to what you're talking about.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts