Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

How About A Front Anti Sway Bar?

In my quest for better than average handling on my 2 WD 92 F 150 I have recently made some observations.
It appears that for some reason the 2 WD F 150 does not ever come equipped with a front anti sway bar. I noticed that many of the 4 WD F Series trucks and the Bronco Do, in fact come equipped with a rather beefy front sway bar. I can not help but wonder the following:
1.) It appears that the lower seat of the coil spring, (on the 4 WD vehicles), have a provision for a link that attaches to the anti sway bar. The anti sway bar then connects to cross member that seems to be present on 2 WD and 4WD frame configurations.
Could they be used, (after drilling the cross member to accept the 2 sway bar mount saddles), on a 2 WD truck?
2.) Has any one ever tried that modification?
3.) If so, has the mod been worth the effort?
In just one visit to a local bone yard I found one 4 WD Bronco and two of the 4 WD trucks that still had all of the hardware for the swap and at a very affordable price. It looks like a simple swap but I have not heard anything pro or con about that one.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
I haven't done the mod but I'm interested in any responses regarding it.

Ryan

if you look around, you can find them in the 2 wd version,the sway bars are a great upgrade, the bar iself are different in 2 wheel to 4 wheel, the end links are the same,the spring perch is different also, I believe the 4 wheel isn`t as thick,not as much lift. the cross member should be different as well,

OK. so they are different. Now I am curious... how different. Not trying to be difficult...it is just that from what I have seen, the 4x4 gear is more abundant. I do not doubt you on the statement that they make one for a 4x2 as well, I just have not seen them. The yard that has the 3 units price them at "almost free". I suppose that the aftermarket units are " almost free" + about $150.00 for one that has as much beef. Correct me if I am wrong... The location of the springs and cross member should be the same.... If it the angle of the link to the spring perch or something like that, a little bit of a lift (level kit) on a 2 WD would put the angle close to the 4 WD anyway. When I was under the Bronco...I just did not see anything that would hamper it from fitting my 2 WD set up. There is one exception... The spring perch itself. I don't remember how it attaches to the I beam. There is a bolt that goes through the lower coil and the perch, but.....is it an integral part of the I beam........that could be a problem?? PAUSE.............. I just looked at the drawing on line with LMC Truck. There apears to be a link mount in the drawing. Must be showing one for a replacement unit for a truck with an oem, I don't recall a link on mine. I guess I have to get away from this computer and crawl under mine and see for sure what I have. And, BTW the anti sway bar itself is shaped a bit different on the 2 WD vs the 4x4. Also I was low on my guess. Their unit is well over $200.00. If it could be used, a guy could save about $225.00 or more by the time you add in all of the attachment hardware. I say it deserves a second look.

If I can not get that F 150 to flatten out on the corners....I guess I will be forced to get out that black plastic car again...........great with the top down on a sunny day, but it comes up a little short on the amount it can haul.

Sorry if I made it sound like it couldn`t be done,the whole unit will bolt up as the frame and coils are in the same place, I beleive I found the cross-member to be a little different,but will bolt up, I think I recall the angle is different. Sooo the 4x4 should all bolt in, the big bolt that hold the spring perch down goes right through ther I beam.If you take off the top nut,the coil and perch come off, replace with new perch and coil and put nut back on,the shock will need to be undone to hang far enough to get coil out,I have put them on and added a taller spring to ride height up,hope this helps

I bought a entire setup off a 1989 F-150....$50 for front/rear differentials..

Had the front sway bar, and the quad shock towers...Sadly, I didn't notice that til the truck was crushed...

Anywho, I have been refurbing the front TTB to slide in under the front of Michelle...More support, etc...

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
I know they r different .Probably can be done. The mounts r under springs like said . Should work .

Last edited:
Update On Front Anti Sway Bar Swap

Well fellas, with your commments posted regarding the possibility of using an OEM 4x4 front sway bar on my 2w/d F150 I was quite encouraged that a complete front anti sway bar assembly from a Gen 9 4x4 wrecking yard donor might just be the best upgrade a guy can make on a Gen 9 truck out there. At least for the money. Your cost may varry, as all used parts do from the bone yard.
At this point, I have robbed the complete anti sway bar assembly, (plus the coils), from a 1994 F150 4x4. The sway bar assembly, including the mounts under the coil springs that link to the ends of the bar, the links, the anti sway bar, the U shaped brackets that the bar fastens to, and the small crossmember that the U shaped bracket fastens to, and all of the related fasteners from a wrecking yard in Tacoma, WA, for the price of $19.00 plus tax! That is a $200.00 + - from the aftermarket version! I did have to spend the time and effort to remove the parts myself, so it also kinda depends on whether you have the time to do that. I had the time to do it,
the yards that won't let you remove the parts and charge the labor for removal would bump to sales price another $50 - 150.00. That may make this swap no as hot of a deal.
I just quietly paid my $21.00 and walked away feeling happy that there are some yards that are still around that let you remove your own parts. They all but weigh you and perform a strip search upon leaving. (I still have em fooled... False bottom in my tool box), just kidding.
I just picked up the stuff yesterday so I don't have a final conclusion as to how it all fits, but by the looks of things so far, it is a 100% bolt in deal. To make it that way, it appears that by getting that light weight cross member that mounts just at the area in front of the radiator as well, will provide the proper angle and the necessary holes for the two U shaped brackets to mount to the frame work. Don't forget the four U clips that hold that cross member section to the frame.
I have not been satisfied with the firmness of the ride so I picked up the coils from the same vehicle for another $30.00. I am pretty sure that my truck just has a stack of old marshmellows in stead of springs up there right now....That should be an improvement also.
Hey Rattlecan, when I get everything all cleaned up, painted, and hung under there, I will post a report how it went and how much it improves the truck's attitude on the curves.
If it improves the handling as much as I think it will.... I will just keep that C-5 parked for the summer.

Two more thoughts/questions........... I am currently using a 2" urethane puck to level out the front end. By using the 4 w/d springs, am I still going to need to use the puck to maintain the same ride height as I have now. Do the 4w/d springs have a different tensile strength to compensate for the weight of the front differential? The coils appear to be the same size.

Two more thoughts/questions........... I am currently using a 2" urethane puck to level out the front end. By using the 4 w/d springs, am I still going to need to use the puck to maintain the same ride height as I have now. Do the 4w/d springs have a different tensile strength to compensate for the weight of the front differential? The coils appear to be the same size.

You can use Moog C544? F-250 4x4 Coils, and gain the 2" back in just the springs alone....

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts