Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

HMMM... what could cause low vacuum?

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
hey guys, im trying to come up with all different reasons why low vacuum would be caused from stuff...

the reason i ask is, as most of yall know i tore the engine down for head gaskets and also installed a custom cam that was SD friendly (supposedly). Smog pump deleted and a few other things..

but i was having some issues yesterday when driving it to and from work. When i was slowing down to a stop when the truck would down shift sometimes my brakes would get soft until a certain point.. and it feels like its caused by low vacuum..

Any ideas..

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Cracked or loose vacuum hose somewhere maybe?

blacksnapon

Staff member
OK, ask yourself where does the vacuum come from anyway? Its essentially the piston going down, increasing the volume inside the cylinder, creating this "sucking". Competition, or otherwise performance camshafts have more than usual valve "overlap". Meaning, you still have valves open when they are usually closed in stock configuration. This lessens any available vacuum. Its one of the hazards of installing a "hotter" camshaft.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Intake leak? booster leak? Loose vacuum tree? As dman said, cracked lines...sometimes they're so fine, the hose itself will look good, but if you start manipulating it, you'll see the dry rot.

Edit as Vince pointed out, how 'hot' is your cam? Could play a pretty big role in your lack of vacuum. If that does end up being the culprit, it shouldn't be to difficult to rig up a reserve.

Last edited:

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
If you have no vacuum leaks then it is probably because of the cam like vince said. I'm sure summit racing has some vacuum reserve you can install.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts