Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

History of the 351M,400

SUre, it actually stands for nothing, ford used the "m" to identify them from clevelands. Most people before 74 who had 351m believed they were using clevelands till they were corrected. Anyways a 400 is a 400, no m should be attached, I think 351ms picked up the "m" due to the fact that most of them back in the early years were made in the michigan factry. Also 400 are high decked clevelands so 400 could be called a 400c...

klatt_89

Gotta Be Somebody
The technical name for the 400 is 400 M Block do to the design of the engine, although you don't attach the M to the back of the 400 like this: 400M, it's just how to identify the line up of which engine you have. I had a 400 M and it was a strong engine in my 78, but it was also a early one that had been swapped in for the dead 351M and had been worked over.

klatt_89

Gotta Be Somebody
Dose any one know what the heck M stands for?

Some believe modified, some believe midland, some just don't know. IMHO it was just to designate that series of engines from the clevelands. It just comes down to technicallity of the issue, and what you information you believe. But many times i've been told i'm wrong.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
351M / M = MODIFIED

That's what the FORD car/truck parts catalogs say, that's what the Ford parts/service reps and every Ford partsman on the planet once refered to it as.

If the M stood for nothing, what would be the point of an M being there?

It's used to distinguish the engine from a 351Cleveland or 351Windsor.

Midland. :rofl: Some peeps have refered to the 351M as a Midland for decades.

A lotta caca del toro!

There is no Ford engine plant or anything else in Midland TEXAS.

Last edited:

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Thanks Bill :D

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
Well heck where can you find accurate info for these engines!
Is it true these engines were made for making more power at lower RPMs?

Bill is the source! His info isn't the kind of verbal hoohaw that most of us who "read it some place" spout off with. He's been working with the OEM designations longer than most guys here have been alive.

He's corrected me a couple of times and with more research I've found he's always been right. Thank you Bill for keeping us straight with the correct info.

Tex, thanks for making the post. I'm glad to see these engines get recognition of any kind and discussion is good.

Personally, I think the 'michigan' and 'midland' tags came from chevy guys. I started driving in 1970 and I can tell you nobody called the 400 an "M" block then.

It's not a cleveland cause only a few parts interchange. It's not a 385 series cause only a few parts interchange. It was it's own animal, unique and alone with gobs of torque because of the longer stroke. HP was respectable then too. The only M is the 351, modified/changed from a 400 by destroking it.

Ford's done the same thing before. Flathead V8's share some internal parts with 4 cyl tractor engines (adjustable lifters, valve guides,etc.). Try telling a flathead guy he has a modified tractor engine in his car/truck and watch what out. :spank:

Last edited:

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
Shoulda read your little quote under your user name....so whats the theory of DOHC/SOHC engines?

LOL I'm not that philosophical Dustin! I absolutely love the 427 SOHC - best engine Ford ever made...... or were you talking about those new mod engines?

Shoot, its all good. I've got a little of everything around here - all three flathead varieties, a couple of 360's, a 223, a 300, a handful of 302's, a 429, a 400 and a 351M. No mod engines tho... guess I'm slippin'

klatt_89

Gotta Be Somebody
LOL I'm not that philosophical Dustin! I absolutely love the 427 SOHC - best engine Ford ever made...... or were you talking about those new mod engines?

Shoot, its all good. I've got a little of everything around here - all three flathead varieties, a couple of 360's, a 223, a 300, a handful of 302's, a 429, a 400 and a 351M. No mod engines tho... guess I'm slippin'

I'd like to see you go over and see the post i made on the general automotive section. I'd also like to see you post, feel free to add as many engines as you like.
My favorite is the 427 SOHC, had Chrysler runnnin to make a DOHC Hemi. Wish i had a 427 SOHC but the closest thing i'll get to one is my Modular.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Bill, what about Midland, Michigan?

Pretty sure this is gonna be an age old argument...I personally don't think it stands for anything, just helped differentiate from other available 351's. Seems to be evidence from whatever side of the argument you want to be on. Most of you probably know Tim from TMI, and this is what he had to say on another site, kinda hard to argue with a guy who has as much knowledge about these engines as he does...but I'll let you decide:

A friend of mine worked for Ford during mid 60's. He was one of the 4 engine builders for the gt40s that won Lemans. He stated that he thought the "M" stands for modifid. He told me a little bit about the beginning of the cleveland.
He said it was about 1968 when Ford decided to build and engine for the Mexican trucks. They were going to be painted orange and they were 335 cubic inches. Hence the 335 series. Anyway he tried to recall that there was some sort of issue with the 351W engine that they put it on what they call a "hurry up" schedule. That was a 7 day a week schedule. He has a engineering booklet of the Cleveland engine and he is going to send it to me so I can dig into it more.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Whatever happened to Bubba? That archive seems to be used as a reference on several different sites.

I dunno...wish I knew. I was glad I found the web archive. I know the site was in the middle of being updated, then it was dormant for a few months and then it was archived. I think it would be totally awesome if something like that would become active again and start forum. I mean hell all the SB guys have several places to choose from BB guys have 429-460.com and 460ford.com, it would be nice to not be the red headed step child anymore.

Merry Christmas to all

Just a line to say hello. I'm fasteddie. I love my 1978 Ford F150 truck. I want to pick up some good info to use on the F150. I see a motor and transmission swap coming.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts