Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

High Output alternators

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
I'm currently running I believe a 1 wire 90 or 100 amp ( I can't remember..but I know it's no higher) alternator and I want to upgrade. I've read about the 3G swaps and what not. My question is, I was looking at Broncograveyard's 1 wire 170amp alternators. The only thing I'm really going to change is I'm going to run a dual electric fan cooling setup. Granted for more $$$$$ I can get a 200 or 250 amp 1 wire alternator, but I"m thinking that's overkill. I could browse some junkyards for a cheap high output one, but then I'm worried about it taking a crap and have to end up buying a new one anyway since there would be no warranty or anything. Thoughts?

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
If you have access to an automotive electrical shop, you could purchase a junkyard alternator from an earlier Ford Taurus and have it rebuilt to your specifications.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
You could also peruse medium/heavy duty trucks Buck. A lot came with Leece- Neville high output units. The one on my 750 is 270 amps and I upgraded the diode pack to make it 320.

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
A 3g alternator should suit your needs quite well. I put one on my '79 and the install is cake, and the 130amps that it's capable of is more than I'll ever need. I originally installed it to run the taurus fan that I used to have on the truck, and it kept up that with ease.

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
^^^^^^ That's good to know. I think the total draw of the derale electric setup I want is total of 50 amps. I figured with a 170 amp, I would have plenty of room for give.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
One thing to keep in mind as well Buck..you will need a good battery, reason being that when your vehicle is idling (stuck in traffic as an example) the alternator doesn't produce much power and if your fans are on and pulling 40-50 amps you could possibly run into problems.
I'd look at a AGM type battery.

be on the look out at junk yards for E-series vans since they can have stock alts up to 130 amps

Why is it you think you need more than 100 amps ?

In most cases it is the battery that supplies the power the alt puts the power into the battery.

Why not purchase a Newer diesel engine battery instead?

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Because all batteries (diesel) or not are starting batteries and are not designed to have continual loads drawn on them.

Okay I thought they had more staring power because of more plates

Then I suppose he should try and mate a Deep Cell battery (for accessories) with a high CCA battery for engine use if that is even possible these days.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
They do have more plates Dennis, but all batteries that are made for starting vehicles are just that.."starting" batteries...designed mainly for large current draws for a short time and then the alternator takes over.
The new generation of AGM's offer the benefit of large CCA capacity as well as deep cycle capability. They also avoid the pitfalls of the Gel types.
The biggest drawback is the initial cost, but after you go through a few regular batteries and the hassle of replacement, the intial cost looks better.

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
Thanks for bring that up Duncan on the battery. I never thought about that. I could run into problems since I do a lot of idling around and sometimes with the A/C on, so the fans will both be on.

I usually don't have cooling problems, but on the hottest of days with A/C on (for the kids), the temp climbs pretty fast at an idle. Here I am talking about hot days and it's still winter, but good time to work on things while the truck sits.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
NP Buck, it's something that gets overlooked and in the big picture is an easy fix.
If you decide to go that route, I would suggest either a Lifeline (Concord battery) or a Deka...both are not advertised like the Optima but are superior units.
http://www.lifelinebatteries.com/marineflyer.php?id=12

Jolly Green

I Salt My Ketchup
If you have access to an automotive electrical shop, you could purchase a junkyard alternator from an earlier Ford Taurus and have it rebuilt to your specifications.

I totally agree with this. We're lucky to have a really good shop in my town, and the guys there can rebuild a starter or alternator better than new.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts