Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Hi Everyone

Hi Everyone. My name is Sarah. I have recently found myself to be the proud new owner of a 1988 Ford F-150 regular cab long bed. This is the first truck I've ever owned and it needs a lot of work. Its been sitting for about 4 years. However, despite that the body and the interior are in pretty good condition. I do need to do a tune up and replace some hoses, etc.. I have virtually no experience with mechanics or fixing up a truck but my awesome husband has volunteered to help me. I am really looking forward to learning more about mechanics and having fun fixing up this truck. Any suggestions and/or advice would be greatly appreciated.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Welcome to FTF!

Does your husband have any mechanical experience, or are you undertaking this as a "learn to work on cars together" experience?

*Generic mechanical advice...always take a picture or make a note of what it looked like before you started taking it apart, so you have something to reference when (not if, when) you forget how to put it back together...

He's been working on trucks most of his life so thankfully I'm in good hands. I've always wanted to learn more about mechanics, etc.. but never had anyone willing to teach me or the oppurtunity until now. I'm pretty excited about it and I am looking forward to the challenge.

<--Sarah's husband here. My name is Rob. We are getting this truck from a friend, His family owned it since new. Body is mint except for the rust on both rear wheel wells. We are gonna use this truck as a learning platform for her. We got it running, but the "gas" that is in the tank wood be better served as a wood finish remover. I cant complain about the price--I hated the rims on my F-250, so my buddy swapped me for his steelies, I gave him my old bow that i was gonna give him anyways. He came up to me and offered me the truck for the rims he already had, the bow he was already shooting, and $500.

Congrats Sarah and welcome to the freak show...Rob, those wheel wells are notorious for rust.
LMC has the bed sides..or like I did..cut 'em out, a bit of new metal, some body work, and you're good to go.
Good luck kids, and again Sarah..welcome

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts