Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Hey Brad

I was looking through this site and thought you might be interested in this ... i didn't know that they made speedboats in alumilium this early - funny to see the classic shape and know that it's not wooden

http://www.woodenboatparade.co.nz/40-59.htm

Alloy_speedboat.jpg

The 2012 Parade saw the entry of three of these classic aluminium Albatross Speed Boats built in the 1950's
Albatross Marine (1949-1966) was a British manufacturer of very light aluminium speedboats primarily used for Water skiing on lakes. The company was created by two English engineers, Peter Hives (son of the Rolls-Royce Limited director of that time, Lord Hives), and Archie Peace (an aeronautics engineer trained up by the Bristol Aeroplane Company), in St. Olaves (Great Yarmouth, England).
By applying the techniques they knew, and using the after-war surplus of aluminium, they created the first Albatross Mk1 runabout in 1949.
Names of owners included Stirling Moss, Bridget Bardot, George Formby, Prince Rainier of Monaco (owner of six craft), Prince Philip and Jon Pertwee.
Around 1200 Albatross were built, from which 800 two-seaters (600 MkI), and 400 four-seaters.
The Sports Runabout model was a 2 seater speedboat, 12 ft 9 inch long powered by a marinised Ford Prefect engine of 1172cc. It could reach speeds of 30.5 mph.
The Mark I version had a single carburettor, and the Mark II had twin carburetters for extra power.

Ford Truck Articles