Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

HELP, weird problem

Ok I am going to start at the beginning and let you know how this has started to drive me nuts.
I was heading out of town Thrusday night when the A/C stopped working in the truck, I also noticed the temp gauge at almost the highest point in the normal zone. I pulled over and shut the truck off and popped the hood. I found the engine to be about normal, not super hot like I planned. I sat for maybe 5 mins and then it was back to normal and headed back to my buddies shop, by the time I got there again the gauge was at it highest point in the normal zone. I put the scanner on it and ran the data on it. the coolant temp was 106 degrees and the head temp was reading 200 degrees. We had a look at it and he came up with changing out the CHT sensor(cylinder head temp sender) I did this test drove and it seemed fine. Next day I was out and towing my smaller trailer everything was good first thing in the morning then it would climb at lights while stopped and then go down once I drove. I swapped out the thermostat and test drove last night everything seemed fine, I even let it idle was I washed it and it was in the Normal zone no problems. This morning I headed out of town again(heading to the palce I did not make it Thursday night) and everything was fine thru town(30min drive) I was on the HWY for 45min to an hour then the gauge climbs up shuts down the A/C the SES light is now on and the oil/water temp light in the upper left corner of my cluster. The SES light was code P01289 on my reader it comes up as a undefined code? I cleared this but the red oil/temp light is on and will ot go out. I am going nuts trying to get this fixed to many this happening right now so I dont get to work on this until about 9 or 10 every night. So frsterated and sleepy. Got any clues to my problem? My truck is a 2001 F150 XLT XTR with the 4.6ltr with auto tranny 2wd. Sorry for the long write up but I thought this to be best to describe what is happening.

blacksnapon

Staff member
P1289 - Cylinder Head Temperature (CHT) Sensor Circuit High Input (PCM STRATEGIES 1999 AND BEYOND) Indicates a CHT sensor circuit malfunction (open). Open circuit in CHT harness
Damaged CHT sensor
Improper harness connection
Damaged PCM
CHT V PID reading greater than 4.6 volts with key ON and engine OFF or during any engine operating mode indicates a hard fault. Note: DTC P0118 may also be reported when this DTC is set, either of these DTC's will activate the MIL light.

help

OK, so checked out everything and it seems good.......no problems in town the last 2 weeks, but as soon as I go on the HWY its back! ticking me off royally

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts