Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Help! Loss of power without coolant loss, runs rough.

grewells

Professional Amateur
Just got back from vacation down to Wilmington towing the 5th wheel (@12k). Dropped it off at storage and started to drive home and had some loss of power. The farther I went, the more power I lost and the rougher it ran. I pulled over at a gas station and checked it out. I had no blown IC boots, no puking from the Degas bottle, the coolant was at the recommended sticker level. I limped it to the nearest Autozone and had them check it out with their little scan tool and it showed no codes...
I "think" i may have a bad injector, but I have no way of knowing. I don't think their scan tool had the capability to see what's really going on...
Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated!!!

blacksnapon

Staff member
was it a misfire sort of power loss, or no boost kind of loss? with all of the mods, it changes so many things that normally govern engine performance.

grewells

Professional Amateur
was Re: it a misfire sort of power loss, or no boost kind of loss?

blacksnapon,
It felt like more of a misfire/ missing that led to power loss. The turbo was spooling up but it felt like i was short a cylinder or two.
I check to see if I had lost an IC boot, but they are strong and tight since the CCV re-route which got rid of all the excess oil in the IC.
The major changes that have been made (EGR delete) have been on the truck for over two years...
I'm thinking FICM or injector issues. i have no idea how to check those...

blacksnapon

Staff member
Just meaning that the normal pids (data used for diagnostics purposes) are no longer accurate enough for use. Reflashes took care of the injector stiction but that was for cold start misfires normally. You need a high end analyzer to see where your misfire is.

Fellro

Staff member
Be aware that the typical code reader isn't effective on diesels. I have had cases when trying to read codes that the CEL would be on, but the reader couldn't pull a code. The typical reader will not be good enough, and the ones AZ uses generally don't. As Vince mentioned, you need a high end reader to pull codes and scan the data to figure it out better. Just a thought, how about a fuel filter?

grewells

Professional Amateur
Readers and filters.

i didn't think the AZ reader was going to work, but I was grasping at straws.
I did change out the fuel filters about 2500 miles ago.
What is the best code reader to use for a 6.0?

i bet its number 7 injector or a ring thats a know problem with a 6.0 if its a miss that what it is put money on it. compression test the cylinders but u find a dead one. a coworker looked at one just had that cam and everything done 10k miles ago and took it in and had it checked and numbr 7 dead. i hope thats not the case with you man.

blacksnapon

Staff member
i bet its number 7 injector or a ring thats a know problem with a 6.0 if its a miss that what it is put money on it. compression test the cylinders but u find a dead one. a coworker looked at one just had that cam and everything done 10k miles ago and took it in and had it checked and numbr 7 dead. i hope thats not the case with you man.
#7 a known problem? News to me!

it may not be just 7. injectors on 6.0l powerstroke are always going out seen it before. we have alot of diesels up here. its farm country. everyone i have seen up here dont have a 6l its a 6.4 or cummins or dirtymax as they like to call them. most of them now are going to the new 6.7 scorpins which i hope ford does something about the oil plug leak on them this they always leak. we have a master tech here all the dealers call when they cant figure out whats wrong with them its messed up. if a master tech dont know whats wrong with the thing at the dealer who can u take it too.

Fellro

Staff member
Vince (blacksnapon) also is a Ford Master tech in Missouri. He has seen his share of all of the issues as well...

blacksnapon

Staff member
it may not be just 7. injectors on 6.0l powerstroke are always going out seen it before. we have alot of diesels up here. its farm country. everyone i have seen up here dont have a 6l its a 6.4 or cummins or dirtymax as they like to call them. most of them now are going to the new 6.7 scorpins which i hope ford does something about the oil plug leak on them this they always leak. we have a master tech here all the dealers call when they cant figure out whats wrong with them its messed up. if a master tech dont know whats wrong with the thing at the dealer who can u take it too.
If you have excessive injector failures, look at fuel quality. The 6.0 and the 6.4 are sensitive to fuel quality. My advice, use plenty of cetane boost fuel additive.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts