Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Help finding part

Hey guys, need a little help here. I'm working on putting the 460 back together for my 79, and last week I noticed that the fuel pump bolt holes in the cast aluminum timing cover were stripped out, so I ponied up and bought a new timing cover from Summit Racing.

Unfortunately, the new cover did not come with the metal dipstick tube like mine needs, so I had to pound out my old tube and reuse it. Not a big deal, until I tried reinstalling the old tube in the new cover, and basically destroyed it in the process. Now I desperately need a new dipstick tube, but I'm not sure where to get one. Any ideas?

Truck is 79 F250 with factory 460 (dipstick in front cover, later models had dipstick in side of pan).

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
I believe he needs the snap in one with an O-ring. The others screw into the side of the oil pan and he wants one that snaps into the timing cover. Those can be a pain trying to get them in.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I believe he needs the snap in one with an O-ring. The others screw into the side of the oil pan and he wants one that snaps into the timing cover. Those can be a pain trying to get them in.

So then that's the last one...and ouch...of course it would be the most expensive one...haha.

Thanks for the reply and the link, I hadn't found that one on Summit. Yes, that one is kinda expensive, that's half of what I paid for the cover itself...

However, some searching on 460ford.com revealed that there are some companies selling aftermarket replacements on Epay. Sure enough, I found one person selling one on there, $15.00 shipped to my door. Score!

As far as the local Advance Idiots store, they didn't even have a listing for a 460 dipstick tube...

Thanks for your time though, problem solved!

Thanks for the links, Ben, but all of those appear to go into the side of the pan, mine goes through the timing cover (2wd, it is just a straight tube about 12" long). Thanks for your time, though, I appreciate the help!

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Thanks for the links, Ben, but all of those appear to go into the side of the pan, mine goes through the timing cover (2wd, it is just a straight tube about 12" long). Thanks for your time, though, I appreciate the help!

Ahh...gotcha...guess I missed that tidbit of info. Anyway, glad you got your problem fixed...and cheap no less.

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
Eric, glad you found a cheap one. I was really surprised that there was no cheap ones on summit. All of em seemed to be stainless or billet steel.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts