Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Hello All

hello folks, I just got a 1971 Ford f250 camper special and she needs some love. No pics yet but im a firm believer of documenting the fix up process. At this point the motor tags say 360 but my dad is a big old ford guy and he thinks its a 390 with 360 valve covers. It was a 4 speed manual but was replaced with a new 3 speed auto. the 16.5 tires were taken off and put 16 white spokes on. She has the normal ford cancer on fenders inner and outer and doors. Inners are worse than outers, also had power steering and power brakes added aswell. I have the lower gas tank it was removed since exhaust pipe was ran too close to tank and was heating tank up for safety reasons it was removed. It had the big mirrors like Dylans 67 but they were removed and put smaller ones on. It has all the chrome that ford offered execpt the fenderwell chrome. i know JC Whitney will be my friend but its always nice to have more options. Im in need of some parts if anyone has ideas where to get some need doors, fenders(inner and outer) also a speedo head unit from a truck that has a rightside speedo cable out on trans. Right now the speedo runs backwards. Messed up right. Anyway its my frist old ford truck and i want it to look good and go good. Oh the truck has 59000 orginal miles on it. It did the worse thing that can happen to something like that IT Sat.
Again Thanks guys for any info u have.

Jeremy

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
Hi Jeremy, welcome! It shouldn't be a problem finding help around here. Sounds like you have a great project truck there. Patience is your best friend.

If you really have a 390 instead of a 360 I'd be surprised. It can happen, but usually goes the other way (390 valve covers on a 360). Either way, the 360 has tons of power to move a heavy truck. I have one in a 52 two ton plow truck and I've never found it lacking.... except for gas : )

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
Welcome to the site!

And as Tim said, your 360 probably is a real 360. I've seen one that was a 390 with 360 tags on the valve covers though...

Take out a spark plug, insert a small wood dowel or some such and crank the engine over. If the stroke measures 3.5" it's a 360, if it measures 3.98", it's a 390...

thanks guys may have to do it that way i was going to snap pics of it on my phone but not enough time oh and found out that the truck was ordered all factory with the power steering and power brakes

ok gots some pics but they are too big for here i guess crap i put them up on my facebook will get like too them if u want to see. Found out number 2 rightside is out thinking its a valve problem since we changed the plugs and it didnt work. Also has a crack in left exhaust manifold but thats ok gives me an oppertunity to put headers on it hehehe

ok got pics up in the gallery here tell me what u think

Here ya go, Jeremy.....

When you click on one of your pictures in the gallery, below it you'll see four lines of code behind the following:

Linked Thumbnail:
BB Code:
HTML code:
Direct link:

Copy and paste into your thread the BB Code....

IMG_01356.JPG

IMG_01347.JPG

IMG_01336.JPG

IMG_01327.JPG

IMG_01316.JPG

IMG_01297.JPG

IMG_01367.JPG

Ford Truck Articles