Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Heavy Black Smoke When Accelerating

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
Sounds like you need to bring that thing up to CT to get it fixed lol. I agree I would get the turbo checked out and if it's puking coolant out the bottle the headgaskets most likely are shot.

I thank you guys are right on this. Only thing Ford has stalled and stalled and it is now out of the waranty.

Going to CT or MO is sounding better and better. People around here don't know Jack, or the dealers don't want to eat the cost.

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
I thank you guys are right on this. Only thing Ford has stalled and stalled and it is now out of the waranty.

Going to CT or MO is sounding better and better. People around here don't know Jack, or the dealers don't want to eat the cost.

PM me the VIN # I want to see if your warrenty is really over or if there just giveing you some crap.

Picked it up Friday night after 5 days of them playing with it. They say they can't get it to leak. However, there was dried anti-freeze all over the engine compartment. They either didn't clean off the mess we took up to them before they tested it or else they wouldn't know a leak if it bit them in the butt.

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
Don't know if you got my email but the truck is out of warrenty but is covered under the ambulance class action suit, so headgaskets (i beleive) would be covered. You just need to find some place that accually wants to work on it.

Took the unit back to Ford today. Last Friday we cleaned every drop of dried antifreez out of the engine compartment. We didn't add any coolant to the reivoir, leaving it just covering the bottom of the jar. Drove it on several calls Friday night and Saturday. Checked it Sunday morning and there was dried sprayed anti-freeze all over the engine and hoses. Left it on there and drove it to dealership. How can I get the name and phone number of the zone manager?

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
Took the unit back to Ford today. Last Friday we cleaned every drop of dried antifreez out of the engine compartment. We didn't add any coolant to the reivoir, leaving it just covering the bottom of the jar. Drove it on several calls Friday night and Saturday. Checked it Sunday morning and there was dried sprayed anti-freeze all over the engine and hoses. Left it on there and drove it to dealership. How can I get the name and phone number of the zone manager?

Let me check on that for you.

Guess what, now that they say it is past the 6 year extension by a month, they are saying it needs headgaskets. This is what we have been telling them for 4 years. Since this problem has been going on for so ling and we have bills that we paid to other ford dealers trying to fix it by telling us to put less coolant in the jar I think we have a case that it has been FORDs fault all along.

BIGRED911

Charter Member
sounds like ya need ta open up the threasury dept and build ya a hot rod ambulance..lol..ditch the egr,get a set of black onyx head gaskets..a mild tuner (to get ya there quicker of course)...a set of head studs to hold it all together.. and id get an oil cooler kit for it as well...if ya gotta spend your own money, id open it up a little( not a lot) and make it more reliable than ford can...

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
It is now past 6 years the warrenty start date was 7/8/04, BUT you have been complaining about this since before that expired and it must be documented if you've been brining it to the dealer. They should be able to help you I would call that # I gave you.

I called the number today, and they said that coverage has been denied and "there is nothing I could do about it". They also said that even if the vehicle had been in the shop the day before the warranty expired and I had the same issues the day after the warranty expired it would not be covered. They have a case number and the decision not to cover the head gaskets has been forwarded to the local dealer. I have 4 ford ambulances and three of them have issues. I guess the next step will be to the attorney's office.

I am going to the Virginia Association of Rescue Squad convention this week. I am going to make sure every FORD ambulance manufacture and potential customers are informed of this. Especially the unsolved problems with the 2008 and 2010 units. Yep, I expect International and Freight Liner will be seeing a big pickup in sales.

I don't know what is up with your engines, our company has several 6.4s that see quite a bit of idling as they are basket trucks and as far as I know the 6.4s have been mostly trouble free. From what I've seen with my short time around medium duty trucks Kenworths are really good.

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
That disapoints me to hear that. It's too bad because the dealer didn't want to fix your truck under warrenty and now Ford doesn't seem to want to help. There is one other option available to the diesel super duty owners, the dealers have the choice to write into Ford and ask them to help pay for repairs on there diesel engine, the problem is it sounds like your dealer doesn't want to help you guys out and just wants to take your money. Whats the name of the dealership you goto?

We have been using Apple Ford in Lynchburg, Va. They have quoted a cost of $2700 to $3000 to do the work. They have offered to knock about $12.50 an hour off of their $97.50 per hour shop rate.

If we are paying that kind of money, we will use a local shop that we trust to work on our vehicles and keep the money in the community.

I don't know what is up with your engines, our company has several 6.4s that see quite a bit of idling as they are basket trucks and as far as I know the 6.4s have been mostly trouble free. From what I've seen with my short time around medium duty trucks Kenworths are really good.

The 2008 just came back from Ford having had the EGR and OIL coolers replaced. This was due to coolant being consummed at a great rate. After we got it back it pees coolant on the bay floor and drinks 2 gallons of coolant every 70 miles. We haven't been able to use it for 2 weeks.

Local shop wants more to do headgaskets and recommends removing egr and oil coolers since they are source of additional problems. Don't want to screw around with that. He said headgaskets will go again in 4 or 5 years.

blacksnapon

Staff member
Local shop wants more to do headgaskets and recommends removing egr and oil coolers since they are source of additional problems. Don't want to screw around with that. He said headgaskets will go again in 4 or 5 years.
We have tools to pressurize the egr coolers and the cooling system. There shouldn't be a problem finding a leak.

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut

I wouldn't remove them. You can have a upgraded egr cooler installed Bullet Proof Diesel sells the cooler I have installed a couple egr coolers from them the internals are much better than Fords. As far as the gaskets going again I don't beleive that we have trucks we've done them in years ago that haven't been back. In 5 years you'll probably have a new ambulance.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts