Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

heater core problems.........

89frankenford

Grabber Green Consultant
NH
ok so i was wiring up my awesome light bar this weekend and was wiring it in through the cab and firewall. i puled back the carpet and it was wet. i was like WTF is leaking?...pulled back the insulation for the heater core........SOAKED....the floor is soaked and the insulation is saturdated......i was pissed.:headbang:

so since that is just about the ONLY thing i have not replaced in this truck.....how in the hell do i replace it? do i have to take the dash out? or can i get it from under the hood?[confused]

on a side note, i also found my neutral safety switch....since i hit it when wiring the switch and the truck wasn't able t start until i realize what i did haha

91xltlariat

Pennsylvania Chapter Member
Drain the cooling system to a level below the heater core.

Disconnect the coolant hoses at the heater core tubes.

Remove the glove compartment.

Disconnect the temperature and function cables.

From inside the passenger's compartment, remove the 7 screws that secure the heater core access cover to the plenum chamber. Remove the cover.

Remove the heater core.

Installation is the reverse of removal. Replace any damaged sealer

89frankenford

Grabber Green Consultant
NH
its really that easy? i was expecting something more epic like the expedition heater cores from hell. i just might get it done this coming weekend. this does explain why i dont have my wicked hot heat anymore though

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Epic heater cores from hell come later.

Like, for instance, either of my vehicles.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
What everyone else said. It is easy. Expeditions are a whole other story :rofl:

KdPate

After Hours Garage
Heater core change on F-150 = stupid easy
Heater core change on 87-93 Mustang = EPIC FAIL!!!!!!!!

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Yes any stang sucks 87-NOW lol. My boss had trouble with a 96, and hes crazy good. Stupid little stuff. Did one on a Mazda 626, 3 bolts 2 big harnesses, and the dash lifts up and come foward, sweet.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts