Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Heater core in! Now how to route hoses?

Hi all. I have a 1973 pickup with a 360. The truck had a dealer installed A/C unit that I have removed. I installed the new heater core, made my own defrosted ducts from duct tape card board and the remains of my old ducts, hooked up the heater blower and It all works. One last thing to do- route the hoses.

When I bought the truck a few weeks ago I knew the heater was disconnected. Now it.s time to route the hoses. I don't know which hose goes into which core opening. I can see how they bypassed the heater by hooking up the two ends. Is there a diagram out there someone can share with me? I am assuming that there are only two hoses in this system. One coming in and one coming out. Let me know if there was a vacuum device, etc, I need to know about. [confused] Thanks.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
This should help:

SCAN0374.JPG

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Thanks Randy, that manual is on the list to scan.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
So looking at the diagram: Without the A/C unit all I need is two hoses? One in and one out. Correct?

Yep..even with the A/C you would only need the two hoses. The valve shown by the firewall might be a manual device as well, depends on how your truck was from the factory.

Last edited:
I put a manual ball valve where the diagram shows the vacuum valve.
Keeps the heat out during the summer.

Vacuum valve? I only have two hoses one in and one out. Do I need a vacuum valve?
So the ball valve will be set up in line and before the water goes into the core. It then reroutes it back towards the water pump?

Yes it restricts the water flow to the core so unwaned heat into the cab is shut off.

Vacuum valve? Do I need a vacuum valve?
No

So the ball valve will be set up in line and before the water goes into the core.yes It then reroutes it back towards the water pump?When the valve is open
You don't need the valve,, it just stops the hot water from circulating through the heator core which is in the cab. These trucks are already hot enough in trhe summer without the extra heat.

Ford Truck Articles