Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Headlight switch

Have a silly question guys. I took out the switch shaft, and now I'm trying to put it back in, but it won't catch inside, and just keeps pulling back out every time. Is there something else I need to do to get it to stay in there? Thanks.

If you just yanked it out without pushing the button you have screwed up the clasp inside

try inserting it slowly and feeling for the click that locks it in

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Now this might be a silly suggestion, but the shaft of the knob is triangulated, and I've had the same issues as you before when putting the knob back in...I rotate the knob to try and have it catch on a different area of the shaft, and then it'll work. Any chance you bent the shaft any? I've had that happen before too, then I just pound it back straight on a piece of wood.

I'll try the WD40 idea, thanks Mike, you're always full of great suggestions, and you've helped me many a time at the other site. And no, the shaft it's bent, the end looks a little worn though, maybe there's not enough lip left on the end to catch on anything, looks kind of rounded off.

I'll try the WD40 idea, thanks Mike, you're always full of great suggestions, and you've helped me many a time at the other site. And no, the shaft it's bent, the end looks a little worn though, maybe there's not enough lip left on the end to catch on anything, looks kind of rounded off.
Always happy to help if I can. Glad to see you over here, wish a lot of others would move too.... although there are a few that can stay put.

Jolly Green

I Salt My Ketchup
Try "spinning" it. If it doesn't catch with the button strait up, take it out and try putting back with the button down. Know what I mean?

75th time is the charm. Kept at it, and finally it caught. I did spray the WD40 in the switch, that seemed to help, although even after that, it still took about 15 times twisting it, pulling up on the button, and pushing down on the button. Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I didn't mess with the switch tool. I just gripped the edge with some vice grips and turned it that way. That tool might be nice to have so you don't have to remove the entire dash trim, just slip it under the edge, and loosen it that way.

Last edited:
That's why I use electrical contract spray not WD-40

Jolly Green

I Salt My Ketchup
Jolly Green. I just looked at your gallery, all I can say is nice truck. Hopefully mine will look half that nice someday.

Thanks, man! I'm sure you'll get there. They're always a work in progress.

I should get some updated pics on sometime if I think of it. I got my seat recovered over the last year, and added a brush guard. I don't think either of those are in my gallery.

Did you keep the interior jade green? If so where did you get the seat covering in that color? I have a split bench which seems kind of difficult to find material for anyway. Our paint schemes are pretty similar, and I can't decide if I want to keep it that way, or go with something different on down the road.

Jolly Green

I Salt My Ketchup
Yep, stuck with green--though I had a white stripe done down the center of it (the mid-passenger section) to match the tu-tone on the outside. It gives it kind of a retro 50's look!

I took it to a relative who did upholstery professionally, but is mostly retired. I chose the color from the book of samples he had--but I don't remember the company it came from. I matched it by sight, so it's just real, real close--not an exact match to the factory material.

I do have factory paint codes for my paint. I'll need them in the next couple of years as I'd like to get a fresh spray.

Ford Truck Articles