Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

headache

ok i got some nice parts i was gonna put on my 78 f250 4x4. i have a real nice coolant reserve jug and washer fliud jug i got off a 77 f100 and would not fit my truck! then a nice gauge cluster that had gauges not idiot ligts from a 76 ranger and it wouldnt fit i take it 78 and 79 are diff breed other than basic body,motors,etc. It just kinda blew my mind as theyre same body style bt also so much different

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
I didn't think these trucks came with coolant resiviors. I don't have one in my 73 but added an aftermarket one. Is it possible what you took off of the 77 was added? Maybe you will have to drill some holes or make a bracket for it. Also if you go from idiot lights to gauges I'm pretty sure you need to change the wiring harness as well.

Gauges vs warning lights

They don't just swap over

Yes you have to have the corresponding wiring harness for them to be installed.

oh ok. i got the harness. if theres anywhere with idiot light to gauge instructions please send me in right direction. and no coolant reserve original? still washer fluid tank.

thanks,
Evan

ok ill see what i can do. lol

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Sounds like all you need is a little time to figure out how to properly hook this stuff up. Everything should work for you. But if it doesn't, send it my way, and I'll see if it works on my junk.

The harness has the proper plastic connector to just clip into the cluster

You will need Oil and Temp Sending units for GAUGES to complete the swap.

I would suggest getting a combo WWR and CRT from an E-series Van.

Windshield Washer Reserervoir and Coolant Recovery Tank

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
I'm not sure if the 6th gens are the same as the 7th gens,but I know that on the 7th gens,to convert to gauges from idiot lights,the entire cab and engine compartment harnesses need to be replaced.Reason being is because the Ammeter Gauge is rated at .5 amps,and If a special shunt is not installed between the alternator and the gauge,full alternator charging amps will go through the gauge,causing a fire.I can't remember which,but one harness has the shunt,and the other doesn't.Just something that might need to be researched before :headbang: .

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
WARNING!

The cluster backs used on 1975/79 F100/350's, 1975/80 Econolines and 1978/79 Bronco's were made from a composition material that can TURN TO DUST before your very eyes!

In 1981, Ford came out with hard plastic replacement cluster backs that replaced the originals and will be found in all 1981/86 Econolines (E1PZ10848B-with idiot lights). 1981/91 Econolines with gauges (E1PZ10848A).

You can use the entire apropos Econoline instrument cluster.

Note: All these trucks use a printed circuit board...it's specific to either gauges or idiot (warning) lights. The Econolines use the same ones as '75/79 F100/350's and '78/79 Bronco's.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Prior to 1980, the only factory installed coolant recovery tank was D1TZ8A080A, installed in 1971/74 F100's & Econolines wth the 240 I-6...and a M/T.

The only other coolant recovery tank available (a universal "fits-all") was sold at the parts counter (DOAZ8522A). The same type could be bought at any autoparts store.

If you find a combination coolant recovery tank/windshield washer reservoir in any 1973/79 F100/350, Bronco or Econoline, it is not original as Ford never offered it until 1980. It's prolly from a Passenger Car.

Last edited:
Yes, I should have said 80's F & E-series

80_s_Washer_reservoir.jpg

interesting learning more and more. thanks guys

anything else needed to do the swap other than oil sending unit and temp? and hook them up by color to color? anybody done this swap in a dentside? ur help is appreciated.

thanks,
Evan

I'm not sure if the 6th gens are the same as the 7th gens,but I know that on the 7th gens,to convert to gauges from idiot lights,the entire cab and engine compartment harnesses need to be replaced.Reason being is because the Ammeter Gauge is rated at .5 amps,and If a special shunt is not installed between the alternator and the gauge,full alternator charging amps will go through the gauge,causing a fire.I can't remember which,but one harness has the shunt,and the other doesn't.Just something that might need to be researched before :headbang: .
a high ohm resistor would prob help with the amp meter.??

No, the special wiring in the harness is the resistance it requires.

Cluster_Coonectors_1978.jpg

Last edited:
I bought a brand new washer fluid jug, pump, hosing, etc to reinstall all that in Ol' Blue and couldn't get the jug to fit either. I just moved it over (towards the front of the truck) a couple inches, used one of the existing holes and drilled a new one to install it. Problem solved haha. Only thing is, make sure you have enough hose to reach where you need to

allright thanks..glad i'm not the only one. lol

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts