Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

He is baaaaaack! Another premium 4x4!

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
I don't understand. How could you put more plates in the same size housing as stock? Fewer thicker perhaps, but more? Sorry for the dumb question, ... I'm always learning.
Dak

It's not like sticking a HUGE number of them in, but adding a couple extra clutch disks & friction plates (I think that's what the steel rings are called) will stiffen up shifts somewhat, all depends on the quantity and type...

dakonthemountain

California Chapter member
Thanks 1970 Custom. but again, how could you put in more in a housing designed for only the factory number of plates? I am not too smart about the insides of an automatic transmission. Are they "floating" in the fluid? Is there that much extra room and "slop" in there? guess I need to pull my shop manuals and start learning about auto trans.
Dak

it isn't a bad looking truck by any means,but from what I have read from you guys talking about the seller I guess it would have to be seen in person before any cash was dropped.the carpet does look green,or faded/stained enough to have changed color.just seems strange that there are that many close to perfect old work trucks around.this guy must have some seriously good contacts.

You can add additional clutches to a standard C6, if it came with 4 disks instead of 5. The 4-disk clutch packs have an extra-thick end plate in the pack that can be replaced with a thinner one and allow you to run one additional steel and fiber disk. This will firm up shifts a little and make the packs a little stronger.

That said, I'm not sure what C6's ran the 5-disk clutch packs from the factory, if any did. Maybe the earlier C6s in performance applications?

I do know, however, that my own truck, a 79 F250 Ranger 2wd with the factory 460/C6, and camper special package, did NOT come with the 5-disk clutch disks. This is the original trans - only 42K on the clock when I got it. It had 4 fiber disks in both the intermediate and drive clutch packs, but when i rebuilt it I bought 2 thinner end plates and added an extra steel and fiber disk to both packs. That, with the shift kit, should allow it to chirp on the 2nd and 3rd shifts. Hopefully I'll have it running in a few weeks to prove that theory correct.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Good info Eric.

Just checked on the auction for the truck that was posted...doesn't seem to be doing so well...but I bet it'll be up to 10k in the next couple days and then it'll be ended early. Maybe the fact that he isn't lying so much in his descriptions has something to do with it...I wonder if all us gurus pestering him has something to do about it.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
didn't see them until just now

OOOOOOOOOH...ok. I see them now...I didn't realize those hoses were going into the cab, everytime I saw it, I thought it was something in the background.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Maybe he plans to hook the other ends of those to the tail pipes and sit inside with the engine running because he's realized how much he sucks.

I'm surprised he didn't say they were a rare window ventilation factory option.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I'm really confused why everyone hates this guy??

If you'll go back about 2 months, you'll realize he lied about his rigs. One member here bought a rig and was supposed to have a D60 front, and the guy swore it was, and when the member got it, it was a D44. He doesn't get back to you if you have any disputes. He omits truths. He tries to pump up his rigs and make them better than they are for an unsuspecting buyer. He'd also claim complete restores, but in reality upon further inspection, it was just fresh paint. Some how the guy always finds >100k mile rigs, but wear and tear on the truck doesn't add up. I think he's a schill seller, where he has people bid up a truck, hence the reason he always racks in 10-15k selling prices, but in reality it's no more than a 5k truck. And somehow he always ends his auctions early. But recently, he's really toned down his act alot...dunno if it's because alot of us have started questioning/contacting him or what. I called him about a truck a few months back, the VIN didn't match, body parts were mix matched, etc...He just wasn't that truthful about what he actually had. And now, as I said, it seems he's toned down some, but he still skirts the truth some. Like in this auction...it says straight from the show room floor, which would make me think it's all original. yet it has a 460...hmmm. Get the points I'm trying to make?

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I should email him and tell him i'll give him 4 magic beans for the truck..

It would probably take 10,000 beans and a dollar bill would have to be around each one. But really, I wonder if the guy really sells the trucks for the final prices, or if he contacts the last person with a true bid and tells them they can have it for that price. But then again, I could be unnecessarily questioning the guys character and maybe there really are poor guys out there that buy what he says hook line and sinker.

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
I really think he just takes em to maaco or somethin similar and tries to cover it up. I dont think he could be sellin em locally or there would be tons of nice trucks out there and in the surrounding states (like here) but ive never seen any toolin around here or down the freeway.

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
Maybe he plans to hook the other ends of those to the tail pipes and sit inside with the engine running because he's realized how much he sucks.

:rolling laugh: :rolling laugh: :rolling laugh: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I really think he just takes em to maaco or somethin similar and tries to cover it up. I dont think he could be sellin em locally or there would be tons of nice trucks out there and in the surrounding states (like here) but ive never seen any toolin around here or down the freeway.

I'm pretty sure Scott said he had his own shop that he used to try and cover up any imperfections.

x2...hahahahaha

This is a mean crowd.....:rolling laugh:

We simply demand the truth.

still no word on the VIN :(

And I doubt you'll get it.

Ford Truck Articles