Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

hard starting

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
The fact that you say once it cools down, makes me want to say your voltage regulator is going bad...and the problem will continue to get worse. On the other hand, shutting down and then immediate hard starting could be a sign of your alternator going bad and not charging your battery sufficiently. The alternator can easily be checked at an O'Reilly's or something.

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
Yeah, sounds like the cranking amps from the the battery are low which could mean the alternator isn't charging like it should. But, I'd check the battery and alternator.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Yep...it's called heat soak...that's a very likely possibility as well. Then you'd either need to make a heat shield for the starter or buy some heat wrap for the headers. That heat soak will eat a starter alive...probably don't have much life in the one you have now.

Bigredmariner

Just Another Clown
the battery and alt look good. I have headers that get pretty hot and is only a few inches from the starter. I am thinking the starter is getting too hot from the headers. anyone ever heard of this?

Had that happen to a '67 with a 390, I put headers on and then started having the prob. I eventually found a heat shield and placed it between the starter and the headers. It cured the problem, that's been a long time ago but I'm sure you can google something like that now.

Yep...it's called heat soak...that's a very likely possibility as well. Then you'd either need to make a heat shield for the starter or buy some heat wrap for the headers. That heat soak will eat a starter alive...probably don't have much life in the one you have now.

You might have to change the starter too.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Sounds like heat soak to me as well. If it continues after you put heat shield around starter/replace starter then I would check your timing. I've seen the same thing happen when the timing is off.

What you are asking is a common theme.

The cause is : Engine out of time and a heat soaked starter.

They make starter wrap shield for trucks with headers.

It's called a "Hot Start" problem.

I bought some header wrap and I couldn't get it on the header very well b/c of clearance, so I took the starter off and wrapped it with the wrap. I put it back on and it seemed to fix the problem. The header is only 1/2" from the starter so I know the starter was getting very hot.

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
Glad to hear it works. I forgot about the header issue. Do you have any other kind of coating on your headers? The JET HOT or ceramic coating is really supposed to help, but more expensive than heat wrap.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts