Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Hard start after driving it a while.....

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
ok. i misunderstood. so it cranks slow when warm after it's been driven. sorry for the confusion.

First crank in the morning or after it's been sitting for a few hours or longer, it starts right up with zero hesitation. I drive it for 20-30 minutes, park, run inside to do an errand, then jump back in and it takes a while before it turns over, but plenty of battery power.....it's not struggling to initiate at all....just have to sit there for 10 seconds or longer before it kicks over.

i am assuming stock exhaust with no leaks and stock starter with a good positive cable. right?

Stock starter with a good positive cable! The Fire Department did install a relay switch that is right next to the Brake Booster mounted against the wall right behind the valve covers. They did this to be able to shut off electricity to the vehicle because of all the sirens and extra lights.....I'd like to remove this some day as well.

Stock exhaust , but the Previous Owner cut it off. If you look closely you can see in the pictures below....clearer in the second picture.

IMG_03241.JPG

IMG_0326.JPG

Is the relay or the fact that I have the end of the exhaust cut off have anything to do with this?

Thanks,

ezernut9mm

Missouri Chapter member
i was just trying to rule out the starter getting hot or one of the connections or wires being exposed to excess heat.
i had a cadillac that had an exhaust leak and it would cook the starter. started fine cold, but once driven i had to let it cool back down to restart.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
out of curiosity, what is that relay powering?

Maybe the relay is getting weak and not working to well once it gets hot?

One of the things on my to do list is to take the relay out. Currently, it's not powering anything, but is supplying power to the truck via a second battery. They installed the relay and a second battery so the truck could handle all of the additional lights and sirens as well as the 10k lb electric winch it had on the front and it had a 1000 gallon water tank in the back and I don't know if that was powered another way or not.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
A relay or continuous duty solenoid is the best way to isolate an auxillary battery...better than an isolator.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
1000 US gallons....like 8500#!!

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
close duncan! 8340 pounds! :p

I used to do the conversion all day long every single day. For every single load of freaking concrete i batched... Which was near 100k yds, of my batching...

Hmmmm, well if its an easy to come by relay, try putting another one in....

Has this been on going, or just recently started...

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I had to do the mental conversion from IMP to US gallons...:rofl: :rofl: ..I figured it would be close!

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I'm a throwback...the standard up is the stinkin' metric system..although most of our blueprints etc. still come in imperial.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Most of the world uses SI (Metric). Imperial and USA measurments really only differ in the volume amounts...typical lengths are the same...inches, feet, yards etc. Now of course if we want to start into furlongs, pecks, rods etc...that's another story...:rofl: :rofl:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts