Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Hard start after driving it a while.....

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
So, I've noticed that after driving my bump for a little while around town....15-30 minutes or so, then park for a few minutes to run an errand, that it starts pretty hard the next go round, meaning, it takes a while before it turns over. Everything sounds fine throughout, just takes a while longer. Is there something small that can fix this or am I doing something wrong?

After it sits all night or for days and I jump in it, it literally starts as soon as I turn the key without even pumping the gas.....

Thanks for any suggestions fellas.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I agree with Randy...if timing is too far advanced (I think) this can happen. And heat soak usually becomes more apparent after headers, but usually some heat wrap or a heat shield takes care of that. Could be that you have a draw on your battery as well, like the alt not sufficiently charging.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Check your timing to make sure it is correct. Incorrect timing can cause this.
the starter could be heat soaking or just getting old and the heat is slowing in it even more than normal.

I agree with Randy...if timing is too far advanced (I think) this can happen. And heat soak usually becomes more apparent after headers, but usually some heat wrap or a heat shield takes care of that. Could be that you have a draw on your battery as well, like the alt not sufficiently charging.

Thanks Ben and Randy, so knowing I don't have those tools for timing....just take it to a local garage and have them check the timing and maybe check the if the battery is drawing. Unless I'm missing something, the battery seems super strong, it's just not turning over.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I wouldn't worry about the battery. But what I would do is pull the alternator, go to your local parts store, have it load tested. Get the results from your alt test. If it checks good, buy a cheap $40 timing light while you're there and head home for further diagnostics. If the alt checks bad, buy an alt, still buy a gun because it's never bad to have one.

That said, I really think the alternator is a long shot possibility, was just a possible scenario.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Ken, might also be as simple as loose connections on the starter solenoid or starter. Also check the ground wire from the battery to the motor.

Last edited:

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Ken, might also be as simple as loose connections on the starter solenoid or starter. Also check the ground wire from the battery to the motor.

So, if the ground wire isn't connected properly, it could cause this?

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
A loose ground will cause an incomplete circuit. Several years ago, I bought a mean green starter for my truck to solve the dreaded "heat soak" starter problem.(Same conditions as you mentioned). The problem was solved for a couple years, and then the problem returned. I was going to pull the starter and replace it, but what I found was a loose ground connection at the motor.(cable that runs from the negative terminal on the battery to the motor.)

There are lots of causes of heat soak. I'm just saying you might start with the simple stuff first.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
A bad ground can cause a whole list of gremlins to rear their ugly little heads.

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

A loose ground will cause an incomplete circuit. Several years ago, I bought a mean green starter for my truck to solve the dreaded "heat soak" starter problem.(Same conditions as you mentioned). The problem was solved for a couple years, and then the problem returned. I was going to pull the starter and replace it, but what I found was a loose ground connection at the motor.(cable that runs from the negative terminal on the battery to the motor.)

There are lots of causes of heat soak. I'm just saying you might start with the simple stuff first.

Got it....thanks!

ezernut9mm

Missouri Chapter member
So, I've noticed that after driving my bump for a little while around town....15-30 minutes or so, then park for a few minutes to run an errand, that it starts pretty hard the next go round, meaning, it takes a while before it turns over. Everything sounds fine throughout, just takes a while longer. Is there something small that can fix this or am I doing something wrong?

After it sits all night or for days and I jump in it, it literally starts as soon as I turn the key without even pumping the gas.....

Thanks for any suggestions fellas.

sounds to me like vapor lock. when you shut it off after it's warm take the air cleaner off and listen for fuel boiling in the carb.
my 67 does the same thing and you can literally hear the fuel boiling. a phenolic spacer between the carb and intake will help this problem.

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
After its running, does the engine turn but not fire?

Or is it not turning at all or turning slowly? With out firing ( before it actually starts and runs)

If you turn the key and get no cranking then its electric, if it cranks normally but wont fire could be vapor lock
If it cranks weak could be heat soak or electrical gremlins...

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Seems like everyone has got you covered on what to check. All good suggestions.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
sounds to me like vapor lock. when you shut it off after it's warm take the air cleaner off and listen for fuel boiling in the carb.
my 67 does the same thing and you can literally hear the fuel boiling. a phenolic spacer between the carb and intake will help this problem.

Question...While fuel boil could be an issue, I've never experienced it to turn over slowly, it's always just turned and turned and turned and turned over. Someone set me straight?

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine

I did this and there is NO fuel boiling....so I can scratch that off the list, right?

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine

So, if the ground wire isn't connected properly, it could cause this?

A bad ground can cause a whole list of gremlins to rear their ugly little heads.

So, I just want to make sure about this ground issue....if this was part of the problem, wouldn't I have issues at the first start up as well. Every single time I start this rig after it sits for a few hours to over night or longer, there is absolutely no hesitation. As a matter of fact, since I wasn't used to driving a standard for the last several years, I started it while it was in 2nd (it has granny low, so I never use 1st), it took off and started on it's own in my driveway without using the clutch...pretty wild.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
So, I just want to make sure about this ground issue....if this was part of the problem, wouldn't I have issues at the first start up as well. Every single time I start this rig after it sits for a few hours to over night or longer, there is absolutely no hesitation. As a matter of fact, since I wasn't used to driving a standard for the last several years, I started it while it was in 2nd (it has granny low, so I never use 1st), it took off and started on it's own in my driveway without using the clutch...pretty wild.

Not necessarily, the ground can be affected by contact, ambient temps, underhood temps, weather conditions, etc. If I were you, I'd start with the big grounds first.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts