Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Handling improvements on my 92 F150?

Well, at this point, I have now owned a total of four of the 92 through 95 F150 XLT LWB regular cab trucks, if you count my current one. That would include an XLT F150 4x4, that I ordered new in 1994. I did order it with the rear stabilizer and was fairly impressed with the handling that truck offered. I am mainly refering to the handling around corners at a bit over the recomended speed without carrying a load and having the truck feel quite level and in full control of the vehicle. They have all had the 7" alloy wheels and 31 or 32" x 11.5 or 12.5 tires, a leveling kit up front and usually new shocks on all four corners. The 1994 truck was brand new and the other 4 have had various miles on the clock. The 94 truck was new and DID handle quite well and each one after that always seemed to be satisfactory in the handling area even though they had various miles on the clock... some exceeding 120,00 miles.
While assembling my curent truck, I had opted to put off replacing most of the front end parts because they appeared to have quite a lot of life left in them.
I had not put 100 miles on my current truck before it went under the knife and I don't recall the manors of that truck to be out of the ordinary at that time. While upgrading the truck with a 351- E4OD-and the rear differential, (incl the OEM stabilizer bar), from a tight low mile 94 donor truck... I also did replace the shocks and installed the OEM rear stabilizer bar. I also installed a front end leveling kit and a new set of Yokahoma 32x12.5 Geolander skins on all four corners..
That project took about 18 months before it saw the road again, recently.
Now, I am not going to say it handles like a bowl of jello, but I am disappointed in how it reacts on the road.
I guess that driving that C-5 Corvette all of these years has just raised the bar for my driving expectations....... Naw, not really.... I just seem to recall a much more responsive, better handling truck/s with basically the same setup. I guess I would describe the way that it feels now is that I seems to feel like I have an additional 3 or 400 lbs or so in the bed.....and no...I do weigh about the same as before. I don't expect a road racer just a better feeling of control than it gives at this point. Even at 55 miles an hour around a long sweeping corner it tends to sway.
I noticed there are several mounting holes at the frame for the rear stabilizer bar. how do you determine the correct ones and does it make much difference in the trucks handling manors, without a load? I have not found much ink on what is right or how much good they really do and under what circomstance?
My hunch is that I need to go to a better front shock and maybe play with the stabilizer adjustments in the rear.... How do you determine the best setting for that stabilizer?
BTW, I set my tire pressure up to 50psi, (max setting), and it helped a bit but I lost some in the ride quality.
I have never had to in the past with my other trucks, but I would even consider a front sway bar, if I would gain much in the stability department.
Any thoughts, comments, and suggestions would be appreciated.

Fellro

Staff member
Does the steering gear have nay extra play? That is one common area that makes the front seem loose. For the most part, the height of hookup for the sway bar isn't as much an issue as just holding the ends steady. It is the twist of the stabilizer bar that holds back body roll. Be sure the bushings on the front stabilizer bar are snug as well.

Fellro

Staff member
Weight wise, it should be comparable to what would have been in there, as the 300, 302, and 351W are similar in the weight department.

It had a 302 auto prior to my swap. The front shocks were a no name brand that I have had around the shop for a few years (OOPS!) They turned out to be a POS. New is not always good. I will pick up a set of real shocks this week!!! Shame on me for trying to save a buck...I have gotten a bit tired of shelling out $$$$$ putting this truck together BUT it actually has been worth it, aside from the handling issue and a fairly short punch list. The truck build has been a success and actually quite an enjoyable endever. I will post some photos soon.
As far as the steering stuff, I get a small bit of play in the left outer tie rod and the one at the pitman arm connection. Probably OK for some people, but now that the driving manors have become an issue, I will reallly notice it and will opt to go with it all. Then a trip to the alignment rack and I should be in good shape. The steering box did need a 1/4 turn also.
BTW, I put 12.50 x 32x15 tires, 7" oem alloys, and the 1 3/4 " front levelers on it.... for it being only a 2 wd the fit in the wheel openings just right... with one small exception that they rub on the radius arms a tad on a tight turn.... I can live with that. The new skins are Yokahoma Geolanders, untill I get the other handling issues taken care of, they are too much of a distraction to try to make a judgement on them. I can say that they are round... No vibration. Not too much singing considering the open tread style. From an appearence standpoint, the sidewall is a bit busy... not as nice looking a tire as my last set of Michelins. I went off of the performance reviews reported for that tire...90% + were quite favorable. Inflation recomendation is 50 lbs. I will tinker with that when I get it to drive down the road like it is supposed to.

Fellro

Staff member
I have used Geolanders before, and they did well. The wear issues I had were due to suspension issues, not the tires fault.

They have all had the 7" alloy wheels and 31 or 32" x 11.5 or 12.5 tires,...
That right there would make -any or all of them- handle like crap, IMO. :/

IMO, get rid of the original Ford wheels (Ford never learned how to make
a wheel;) and buy some tires and wheels that actually match-each-other
(as opposed to how Ford did it). Ok, so, Ford has matched 16x7" wheels
with 7.50x16" tires and 235/85-16E tires but that prob'ly wasn't anybody
at Ford's idea tho. LOL xD

265/75-16E's fit 8" wide wheels

BTDT Ford-wheel-width-thing with both my '75 F150 and '91 U150, YMMV.

Alvin in AZ

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts