Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Hand Choke

Ok here's a question.... would love too have some feed back on this one....as most of ya know these old fords are known for hard starting.. My 460 has a holly carb 4 barrell the choke seems too go bad quite often i replaced it once already still hard too start but once warmed too about 160 too 190 the dam thing runs like a top... so for the asking how hard is it too put a hand choke on these trucks... and is there a kit too do it ... any help is always welcomed

As always

Dawg

Hey Dawg, you could do what I do and stay in the truck with your foot on the gas for 10 minutes, lmao !! seriously, I've been adjusting the choke just the other day. Read somewhere that with the difference between summer and winter, you would have to set the choke leaner or richer. Mine is non-electric with the tap for the manifold heat tube. Was thinking of going electric. :)

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
Manual choke is the way to go on those things... the factory hot air choke is a joke. Or sit there for 10 minutes and warm it up. We've all done it.

primetime

sawmill slave
Yep, been there too. And LOVE being back in a FI truck. As the other guys said, the universal kits will work for you. They`re not hard at all.

Nothing wrong with a choke that a hacksaw and hoof rasp can't fix...
choke1.jpg

...had the choke wired open for ~10 years and one day decided it'd
been wired open long enough. ;)

Guys in Dakota and Michigan etc have claimed the same thing...

"you don't really -need- a choke"

In my case, it helped that I'm a tinkering fool and into carburetors. ;)

YMMV

Alvin in AZ

smiling... hey alvin I'LL be in arizona whole month of January on tour .. lets hook up and you can work your magic on this ole ford....I'LL git ya a free parking and pass too Quartsite R.V. Show. How Bout it

As Always

DAWG

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ

Ford Truck Articles