Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

groaning and creaking,and pulling when steering

my 79 has always since ive had it groaned and creaked when i turn the wheel. ive demonstrated this to a few different people and ive peen told that its everything from "old fluid" to a bad steering box,air in the lines and a bad pump. however i know for a fact its not a pump issue as the sound is distinct and not from under the hood. it sounds more like its within the suspension and not in the hydraulic system itself. when i first purchased the truck the noise was there but only if you turned the wheels about 1/2 way in either direction. now its there no matter what. i believe its in the suspension because the truck "walks" around when i drive it. for example if i go around a sharp right turn and then go on to a straight the truck will pull to the right unless i "flick" the steering wheel to the left then it straightens right out it does this on both left and right turns. pulls the same direction as the turn i just left. any ideas on what i should check into and repair or replace or grease?? any and all ideas are greatly appreciated and will be looked into asap. this doesnt affect the general drivibility of my truck but the noise is annoying as crap and i dont like the fact that it pulls from side to side after turns. so thanks again in advance,bill

how does one check to see if the steering box is "over adjusted" i never knew that they could be adjusted to begin with. as for the pump it probably is worn out but there arent any weird noises coming from it. and i also did a test today to rule the pump out. i removed the power steering belt and turned the wheels and the noise was still present( truck was running at the time but not moving) also did the same with the truck not running and still the noise persists. so im guessing the pump can be ruled out and i should start looking into the power steering box and ball joints as well??

...also did the same with the truck not running and still the noise persists. QUOTE]

How can you not pinpoint where the noise is coming from if it's making noise with the truck not running?
You could try jacking the front end up (tires off the ground) and turn the steering wheel left and right and feel for any abnormal resistance (to determine if it's (steering gear box) "over adjusted". It kind of sounds like your describing memory steer (the steering wheel not coming back to center after a turn). But anyway, it does sound like something is up with box assuming everything else in the suspension has been lubed...

Workin' Rig

Stone Cold Bo Norris
Dont forget to check your rag joint...the rubber coupler on the steering shaft...

Also wouldnt it be a kingpin front end.... my 79 had kingpins...

BuzzGun79

Nov.TOTM 2012 / 2012 TOTY
From your description...your Kingpins are in the starting stages of freezing up...This was pretty common in these trucks...note it will get worse...and is a main reason of the truck "wandering"....I have heated these with a torch to force grease into them...which may loosen them up to buy you time....but it is evident that they will need replaced....in time frozen kingpins will wear out other steering components...(rag joints,column bearings ect)

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts