Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

GPS unit w/ MPH

godblessmud

CHECKERS OR WRECKERS
Moscow, ID
So when i put the T case in from the 1993 F250 I lost the speedo cable hookup because the 93 was VSS...so i am speedo less at the moment until i put the Sterling 10.25 in the rear which wont be until at least the end of summer. also, local cops are stepping up patrols hardcore so i dont like having to estimate my speed.
Does anyone know of a portable GPS unit that tells you your speed based on satellite or something? or any ideas of an electronic that can tell me my speed that i could mount somewhere in the cab?

my garmin nuvi 255 does. very easy to use, updates the speed frequently
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=134&pID=13428
looks to be about $140 or less on amazon

EDIT: it actually has a little display that's supposed to look like a dashboard that has all sorts of stats i love to watch.
-current speed
-max speed
-average speed
-moving time
-stopped time
-miles traveled
-....more

EDIT 2: on the map screen you can see the speed in the lower-left here
cf-lg.jpg

on the "dashboard" the speed is bigger and easier to read with the other numbers

Last edited:

Bob Ayers

North Carolina Chapter member
Durham, NC
YUP! All GPS units have the capability of giving your speed, and with a lock on 4 satellites, can give you your altitude also:

Leaving the continental US:

283184463_VCPXf-X2.jpg

Getting close to Honolulu:

283183941_U5Pn5-X2.jpg

Last edited:
whatever gps you look at, i'd buck up for one with "text to speech" if you plan on using it for anything other than a speedometer. it's nice when it says "turn right on main st" instead of "turn right in 100 ft"

Bob Ayers

North Carolina Chapter member
Durham, NC
If you have a laptop, I highly recommend the DeLorme maps & GPS software, and a US Global SAT Bluetooth GPS receiver. Not only will it give you directions, but it also has speach recognition so you can ask it questions....

And both together have more features, and are cheaper than the high-end hand-held GPS units.....

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I've got a Garmin Nuvi 205. Reads off your ground speed, and what it believes the speed limit to be on the road you're on. (I've found at least one place I know it's wrong...and if you were dumb enough to believe it, say late at night when there's no traffic, you'd be about guaranteed a ticket, though.)

Hate the navigation aspect of the thing with a passion, but that applies to all navigation systems, not just the Garmin.

Nice to have a map that shows where you are, how fast you're going, and where the roads near you go/connect to, though.

I have a garmin 750,
it doesn't want me to travel on the interstates.:hammer:
it seems to take me around my ass to get to my elbow :headbang:
it doesn't recognize most of my destinations and sometimes roads that i'm on 'biteme'

I think I'll throw it in the road and run over it :)

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Pretty much all GPS units will tell you your speed. I've never seen any that didn't and I've done pretty extensive research in GPS units over the past few years. It's a basic functionality of GPS technology.

rambler

New Shoes......
I use a tomtom, and it works great, it also showed that my DD, speedo was off by about 5 MPH, also has a feature that will warn you if you exceed the posted speed limit ( I always have that feature turned off) :)

I have a garmin rino 120. Hand held. It does the speed and all that, plus its great for hunting because you can upload topo maps as well as road maps anywhere on north america. It also waterproof

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts