Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Got the 'new' 400 in

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
8 years no rebuild?

Ben if it aint been rebuilt for the last 8 years then its really time to go through it.

I didn't mean I reused the same exact carb...I meant I used the same part numbered carb. So 2 carbs. The one on Red has been there for 8 years with no hitch, the one that I got for the Bronco is 18 months old and made the switch from the 351 to the new 400.

That's funny. I used the same quote in the knob thread

Once again Mark...great minds! :beer: beer drinking smilie

Old guys...pfft.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Figured I'd share this...cuz I can't really explain it. I get about half way through my trip yesterday, and simultaneously, I hear metal pinging and open exhaust. Scared the crap out of me. Pull off to the side, and it's my driver's side exhaust pipe that just fell off the manifold and is hitting the driveshaft. Luckily, I had some spare nuts in my toolbox (go ahead and quote that)...and got hung again. I was just confused at the fact that both nuts backed off an inch of stud...never seen anything like that. Only thing that even seems plausible is that I didn't go back and retorque the nuts after the first few heat cycles????????? Any theories? And yes I'm sure I put the nuts back on originally.

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Mighta forgot to tighten em up good the first time then when it heated up the vibrations from drivin and the heat loosened em the rest of the way. Id still go through the carb and check it since ya had to mess with it so much to get the 351 runnin its got differnt fuel needs bein a bigger motor and bein in better shape.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Mighta forgot to tighten em up good the first time then when it heated up the vibrations from drivin and the heat loosened em the rest of the way.

Yeah...but loosened them off an inch of stud??????? And both of them????? I figure it's plausible, just never seen it before.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Yeah I understand full well what can happen. Now what is this vibration its got?

I dunno...that's why I asked...haha...in the other thread no less...double haha. However, I'm really not too worried about since it only does it from 60-70mph, go a little slower/faster it's gone. Hell, I don't even know if it's engine related, I just know it didn't start until this engine was put in.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Well what does it do?

It vibrates????? What more are you looking for...at 60-70mph I get vibration...actually, it's more of a wobble. Dunno if I did something to knock the dshaft outta balance, if I lost a tire weight, or if it's something pertaining to the swap. All I know is it wasn't there before the swap, and now it is. I dunno if there is something I did during the swap that may have caused this...or if it's something with the engine internals.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
What flywheel did you use?If the 400 had one maybe it was bent....

Actually, the flywheel on the 400 was bent, so I swapped the one that was on the 351.

Just tryin to figure out what could be causin it. Hows the motor mounts and tranny mount? Wheel weight fallin off is a good posiblity.

Motor mounts are good, didn't think about tranny mounts, that's a good possibility. I'll give it a look this weekend.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Did you check the u-joints at all?

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Yea very well could be a tranny mount from movin it around when you were trying to get everything lined up.

I'm liking this possibility. However, if it is a tranny mount, would it just be a problem at the speeds I specified? I figured it would be continuous.

Did you check the u-joints at all?

They're all good.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts