Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

got a gauge/ wiring question

crzybil87

C.R.A.Z.Y.B.I.L.L
Hey yall. I redid all my gauges with my motor swap. They work awesome glowshift gauges
. Ive a question. Now all the gauges are electric, theyre are grounded at the senders and recieve power thru the gauge itself, the gauges share a common power and ground behind the dash, now when the heater is on mid or high or i push the brake all the way or my lights are on the temp gauge and fuel level climb higher but i turn it off and it goes back down frank and with the blinker on the fuel level jumps with the blinker. This only happens to my oil temp water temp and fuel level, any help would be awesome thanks guys

sounds to me like your ground is shared with something on the column. believe it or not if you share grounds with certain things it can cause them to wig out. my 78 chev did this too. run a thick guage wire from your common ground and run it to your frame or cab. then make sure your ground strap on your cab is good too. if this doesnt fix it then move your ground so its isolated witht he guages and guages only.

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
My first suggestion was isolate the grounds for the gauges. But also not only check. But upgrade the ground cables. There bare wire held on by clips. Mud is not conducive to a good grounding. Get some welding cable and bolt it in good. Die-electric grease to cover it up. Or even vaseljne

crzybil87

C.R.A.Z.Y.B.I.L.L
Well, i solved my little annoyance. I cleaned up all the "rats nest" behind the gauge cluster. I ended up runnin a ground wire a nice 8 gauge right to the battery and everything works awesome. Then i went a little crazy and replaced every ground on the truck with some 4 gauge i had sitting around also added quite a few here n there

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts