Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

good update vid and exhaust clip.. well lack there of.

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
Im sitting here pounding my head against the desk. New rebuild, your timing is off and your driving it around. 50 miles is not broke in especially with your timing off, im unsure if you correctly broke in your cam so i wont comment on that. You are obviously driving it with no air filter. I mean really? I know working on engines is fun and what not, but when your the one footing the bill for the un needed rebuild. Come on man! I wouldnt move that truck from that parking spot until the coolant gauge was working, until your timing was fixed and until you put a blasted air filter on there.

Yes im "jumping your arse" but this is serious business here. It sure would suck to blow another head gasket cause you over heated it wouldnt it?
How about bend a valve or snap a timing chain and do all kinds of fun damage when you suck something in through the intake? Im being nice about this right now. The shop i came out of, i cant even fathom the chewing you would get for that. We all make simple mistakes and thats normal, we need to learn to catch them. But the 3 i pointed out are to important to be messing around with. If your timing is a little off, which it seems a tad advanced. You may be alright for your cam break in. But once your done with that, get the timing dialed and get the rest of your break in done asap. The rebuild on my motor was cam break in, oil change, dial in the timing fix all the little bugs, quick double check then i went out and drove the piss out of it for better than 200 miles. No monster mountain passes but i was rowing through the gears in the hill country around austin for a good 4 or 5 hours. Driving around a parkin lot a little here and a little there is doin much more harm for you than you think, and 42 miles to work and back was likely not to nice to it either.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
^^^What he said.

But I will say that sometimes a big mistake is the best way to learn. If he ruins the engine he will know to never do that again. If he is going to be a Ford Tech then he needs to learn all of the wrong things to do before he does this to a customer's car.

However I can't see why you would spend like 5 months working on the truck to rush driving it around with no exhaust and no idea to tell what your temp is at.

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
HEY HEY!! copy cat!!! the 5.8 badge place :p

sounds good..

ahhh clean engines... doesnt last very long in a daily driver :(

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Hope it holds out for you...for the length it had been down, what's a little more time to get it done right.

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
Chris what i didnt say in my post was The truck sounds good, and looks good. Yea i was coming down on you, but right now its needed. You know im upfront and honest. But my rant post was really to help you out, i know your excited about the truck running, but i would hate to see you have to do it all over again cause you couldnt wait a little while longer. I dont mean to cut down your work, as it appears you did a pretty good job on the build. But wrap up the loose ends, finish it right man. Plus the feeling of it really being done is alot better than the feeling of it runs...

Props on the clean build man.

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
its a roller cam.. no need for break in..

i had the air filter on when i was driving it the first time...

its not a full rebuild.. just topend.

and i am waiting till i get everything dialed in before i drive it again other than around the parking lot..

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
However I can't see why you would spend like 5 months working on the truck to rush driving it around with no exhaust and no idea to tell what your temp is at.

oh yeah without a doubt.. the really only reason i drove it to work was i had no other way of getting to work, ann had the exploder.. and the temp gauge i didnt realize till i was already on my way...

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Oh I see. Just don't want to see you ruin your truck after all that work.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts