Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

good stick shift habits/proper techniques

godblessmud

CHECKERS OR WRECKERS
Moscow, ID
Im a fan of compression braking myself, just habits from driving large equiptment. Plus my rear brakes lock up if i use them too much, ive had them apart and there is no problem i can find so i just deal with it.

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
I never coast to a stop being a ex truck driver you have no control over your vehicle. all you have to do is match your rpm with the gear you are going to.
A good way to learn this is to learn how to double clutch. Do you have a family member that can teach you how?

i can double clutch, but it was a matter of which way is "proper"
put it in neutral, leave it in gear as long as possible, or downshift as i slow down

i've been leaving it in gear as long as possible

godblessmud

CHECKERS OR WRECKERS
Moscow, ID
Downshift

GD10CL

Fellro

Staff member
I always downshift as I slow down... been doing it that way for 22 years now... rarely have to replace clutches or brakes, or trannies for that matter, and typically the motors hold out pretty good as well, at least for me... I do that with loads as well, downshifting helps the brakes out, otherwise, you can get them pretty hot if you just coast in.

Ford Truck Articles