Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Gonna try to get it running again.

I have a 1989 F-250 with a 351w / c6 auto trans that hasn't been ran in about 4-5 years. It ran decent when it got parked, but got horrible gas mileage (4mpg on a good day.) and it has close to 400,000 miles on it.

I know for sure that it needs a new battery and a new starter solenoid since the old solenoid is on my Ranger. The dogs chewed some wires out from under it a couple years ago. Not sure what all it is that got chewed up, but I do know that they got the wiring to the Neutral Safety Switch.

What all do you guys think it would take to get it running again? I know it won't take a whole lot, but I don't know if these motors have any problems after sitting for a while.

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
Valve springs may bust due to sitting for so long in one position..

It won't be as easy as ya think to do it properly with as few issues as possible.

Here's what I'd do.

Go through entire wiring system and fix any breaks due to animals etc..

Change plugs, wires, coil, cap & rotor. Motorcraft stuff is Fine, or To go better NGK plugs.

Change fuel filter, drain fuel tank, blow out fuel lines and all gunk in em.

Change oil.. Put some cheap conventional in. Supertech 5w30 conventional and is dirt cheap like 12 for a 5 qt jug (need 6) and easily available at any walmart. And a motorcraft FL1A filter.

Mark the distributor, pull it out,. Prime the pulling system by drill before first fire. Drop distributor back in and verify all same timing marks.

Since truck is speed density pull the Intake tubes off from throttle body and leave off for first fire. It'll insure air is getting there invade tubes have been made home by rodents..

Drain engine block, radiator, replace thermostat & radiator hoses including those going to heater core and bypass hose. Refill w/ 50/50 mix.

Try to fire the truck. If it runs, run it for about 30 minutes keepin close eye on all cooling system and engine bay for any leaks, noises, bulging, knocks, and coolant level as the system burps itself.

After running engine for 30 minutes if no issues shut it down, check for leaks again. They will happen.. Just want to make sure they aren't to bad to drive..

Let it cool off, then go for a test drive on roads that there is a safe shoulder to park on in case issues arise, and roads you know well, so you know how it should act traveling those roads..

And this is only engine stuff I'd do.. You'll need tires for sure. Probably brakes, brake lines, trans fluid replacement and filter.

Last edited:
Valve springs may bust due to sitting for so long in one position..

It won't be as easy as ya think to do it properly with as few issues as possible.

Here's what I'd do.

Go through entire wiring system and fix any breaks due to animals etc..

Change plugs, wires, coil, cap & rotor. Motorcraft stuff is Fine, or To go better NGK plugs.

Change fuel filter, drain fuel tank, blow out fuel lines and all gunk in em.

Change oil.. Put some cheap conventional in. Supertech 5w30 conventional and is dirt cheap like 12 for a 5 qt jug (need 6) and easily available at any walmart. And a motorcraft FL1A filter.

Mark the distributor, pull it out,. Prime the pulling system by drill before first fire. Drop distributor back in and verify all same timing marks.

Since truck is speed density pull the Intake tubes off from throttle body and leave off for first fire. It'll insure air is getting there invade tubes have been made home by rodents..

Drain engine block, radiator, replace thermostat & radiator hoses including those going to heater core and bypass hose. Refill w/ 50/50 mix.

Try to fire the truck. If it runs, run it for about 30 minutes keepin close eye on all cooling system and engine bay for any leaks, noises, bulging, knocks, and coolant level as the system burps itself.

After running engine for 30 minutes if no issues shut it down, check for leaks again. They will happen.. Just want to make sure they aren't to bad to drive..

Let it cool off, then go for a test drive on roads that there is a safe shoulder to park on in case issues arise, and roads you know well, so you know how it should act traveling those roads..

And this is only engine stuff I'd do.. You'll need tires for sure. Probably brakes, brake lines, trans fluid replacement and filter.

I plan on doing most of that stuff anyways. I was just wondering if these had any weird issues after sitting. Thanks for the help though.

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
Rubber gets brittle aka vacuum lines, gaskets leak, coolant lines bust, rings stick causing major oil burning, weak valve springs due to pressure on same spot for 4 years, same issue with lifters, both can fail.. I could keep going..

Rubber gets brittle aka vacuum lines, gaskets leak, coolant lines bust, rings stick causing major oil burning, weak valve springs due to pressure on same spot for 4 years, same issue with lifters, both can fail.. I could keep going..

I understand that. Once I get it running, a rebuild will most likely happen if the truck doesn't end up just getting a crate motor.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts