Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

going to look at a 99

Its a 99 4x4 with 200 k on it.
Asking 2999.00
little conserned with the high mileage but for three grand its got me interested enough to go look at it.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
What are the specs? I'm not afraid of miles but I quit looking if it's over 200k. That's a lot of life used up.

Ryan

on edit: Well it's a nice looking vehicle. Guess you just have to go see how it's running.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Not a bad looking rig. The way I would approach it is, I typically give the rig a 250k lifetime on the drivetrain, I realize they can go longer, but that's usually the ballpark number I've experienced...you may be willing to go longer. But for sake of argument, say you can expect 250k out of that thing. If it already has 200k, how long will it take you to eat up the remaining 50k. Then figure in how much an engine rebuild and/or tranny rebuild will cost you over the life of ownership (I exclude the 'little' things because those aren't big ticket items and are typically lumped in to cost of ownership for me). Now factor in those costs to the 3k...see what number that puts you at, then see what else that could buy you.

Maybe you decide you'll keep that vehicle forever and an engine/tranny rebuild is cheaper than purchase of another vehicle. Maybe you'll decide you can milk that last 50k for 10 years and then you'll just throw the vehicle away. Or maybe you'll decide that last 50k will only last you 2 years and it's not worth it. Or maybe you'll be somewhere in between.

Never looked at it.
Went to the address on the site and it was at another location. Couldn't get ahold of the guy. Finally get to the other location and some one there was able to get ahold of him and he shows up 10 minites later and as I see him pulling up something doesn't look right. He pulls up in a 2000 2wd. Sold the 4x4 this morning.

Not a bad looking rig. The way I would approach it is, I typically give the rig a 250k lifetime on the drivetrain, I realize they can go longer, but that's usually the ballpark number I've experienced...you may be willing to go longer. But for sake of argument, say you can expect 250k out of that thing. If it already has 200k, how long will it take you to eat up the remaining 50k. Then figure in how much an engine rebuild and/or tranny rebuild will cost you over the life of ownership (I exclude the 'little' things because those aren't big ticket items and are typically lumped in to cost of ownership for me). Now factor in those costs to the 3k...see what number that puts you at, then see what else that could buy you.

Maybe you decide you'll keep that vehicle forever and an engine/tranny rebuild is cheaper than purchase of another vehicle. Maybe you'll decide you can milk that last 50k for 10 years and then you'll just throw the vehicle away. Or maybe you'll decide that last 50k will only last you 2 years and it's not worth it. Or maybe you'll be somewhere in between.

I get what your sayin.
I figure if the body was decent that it would be easier to swap in another motor/tranny if needed.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts