Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

going to look at a 94 f150, what to look for?

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
just check if he has maintenance records.

personally check for leaks around rear main and oil pan and valve covers. smell trans fluid for a burnt smell and visually black. if so be hopeful you'll catch it before trans burns up.

otherwise not much IMO.. they're great trucks..

Big Jim F150

73-79 Ford Trucks Rock
Make sure that you also test drive the truck, even if it's for at least a couple times around the block, or even a couple of miles, it will tell you what's wrong with it, and if there are any weird noises. That's what I did when I bought my 78 F-150 Ranger Lariat with a 351M/400 engine and C6 transmission, and I had found a good truck by doing just that.

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
And on that test drive beat it like a hooker... If it breaks.. It aint yours.. This is the way I look at it.. I don't wanna buy something that breaks the first time I'm aggressive with it

Sent from my Droid Maxx on Tapatalk

blacksnapon

Staff member
And on that test drive beat it like a hooker... If it breaks.. It aint yours.. This is the way I look at it.. I don't wanna buy something that breaks the first time I'm aggressive with it

Sent from my Droid Maxx on Tapatalk
We send a sales person out on the test drives just to prevent this kind of abuse. If a customer destroys a vehicle due to intentional abuse, its paid for by their insurance.

Fellro

Staff member
You of course have to be realistic about how you test drive a vehicle. Get in one I am trying to sell and thrash it exceptionally hard and you will be walking back to your own vehicle. Still have to have some respect for the owner as well. You can break things that weren't necessarily on their way out with clutch drops and the like. Think about it, if somebody you didn't know came and starting beating the crap out of your vehicle, then walked away, how would you respond? Oh it needed fixed anyway? I doubt it. Getting on it is one thing, thrashing it is another.

460Trucker

Has the Cat Scratch Fever
Check the shackles as well and listen for any pops when turning (ball joints and such).

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
I'm not talking doing donuts and jumping stuff I'm talking being hard on throttle from stop, from different speeds to see trans dowshifts, hard braking, I'm will beat on a vehicle hard..

now on a new car lot there is no need.. so I'd have no issues with salesmen..

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
going to look at the truck on wed, it's a 94 f150 xlt, 302, auto, 150k miles. anything specific I should check out?

Don't know what area of the country you live in, but the the biggest issue in most parts is rust. I've got over 500,000 miles accumulated on two of these, and I think they're pretty much bombproof if they've been maintained.

well I passed on it. got there and the body was nice but the interior was shot, mice ate some of the injector harness, motor knocked,etc. surprisingly the power windows and locks both worked,lol. why can't people just tell the truth about condition?

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts